Best location for Long Range KC's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best location for Long Range KC's

I'm looking at getting either some KC 2x6's or 5x7's for off road use on my 2001 X Sport. My question is, would mounting them low on the car (to the sides of the license plate) defeat their purpose? Also, in those spots, would the 57s or the 26s be better? The 26s would probably fit better... The 57s would stick out a bit more, but they would be MUCH brighter (55w vs. 100w)

I can't really think of a good solution for putting them on a light bar or anything up top, due to the shorter side bars, sun roof, and need for a ski rack during the winter...

Any help/opinions is appreciated.

Also, new to the site, is there any way for me to post pictures in a post, or do I need to be Elite Explorer Status to do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rather not spend the money, since anything decent I can find is $400+. If you know of somthing that looks decent and is relatively cheap, I might go for it...
At any rate though, would that really make much of a noticeable difference in mounting height?

Also, new to the site, is there any way for me to post pictures in a post, or do I need to be Elite Explorer Status to do that?
You just need to host them somewhere.

The higher you can mount them on the vehicle, the better they will perform. Take a look at almost any desert racing vehicle. They all have them mounted up high.

It's actually for two reasons...one is better lighting and the other is keeping them out of harm's way.

i say drill two holes on top of your front bumper and mount them there. The other options are to have a local fab shop make you a simple hoop that bolts to the top of your bumper with tabs on it for lights, find a brush guard on ebay or build a front bumper
explorersuspensiondroop.jpg

The higher you can mount them on the vehicle, the better they will perform. . . It's actually for two reasons...one is better lighting and the other is keeping them out of harm's way.

They are only out of harms way in the desert. Try driving through the woods with lights on the top and you'll soon find that they are all pushed out of alignment by low branches and brush.

They are only out of harms way in the desert. Try driving through the woods with lights on the top and you'll soon find that they are all pushed out of alignment by low branches and brush.

Been there, done that...better than having them smashed on rocks when wheeling. I've nosed my trucks into a rock more than once that would have wiped out lights placed lower than the hood level.

For protection, it will eventually depend upon what type of wheeling you do. If you're on forest trails with mostly closed in trees, then on the front will protect them better. If you're out rock crawling or in the desert, up high will protect them better.

Again, the primary reason for height is better visibility.

Cool thanks for all the advice. I am not planning on doing anything super intense, the car is still pretty new and I'm being nice to it for now. I'll probably go for the lower/bumper mounting, since I won't be using them on that regular of a basis.

Anyone have / know if I would notice a difference in the light from the KC 26 vs. KC 57 long range lights?

Being has how the 26 series is all 55 watt & the 57 Series Long Range are 100 watt, I would say you will notice the difference.
Use the largest lights you can. Usually, the larger the light the better.

Back