Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Best place to mount a CB antenna?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Jaytee, March 29, 1999.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jaytee

Jaytee Guest

Currently I'm using a "Firestix II", 4ft mounted to my driverside rear bumper. The problem is that the reception really stinks. Is there a better place to mount the antenna and how did you mount it?

Also..I've been hearing a lot about Ham radio. Where do I get information on what I would need to learn and where do I get the license? Does it cost money?

Thanks in advance!
    Jaytee (92 Explorer XLT 2x4)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RonB

RonB Guest

Jaytee,
    I'm a ham operator and I have a mag mount on the top of my 94 Explorer in the back near the Rear brake light. I ran the cable inside the rear hatch then down the inside plastic side in the back. I then passed it under the rugs near the driver side doors. I have the ham radio mounted under the ash tray in the middle of the dash. The radio gets out fine because of all the metal under the antenna acts as a ground plane.
    A word for the power cable. I ran it direct from the battery and into the firewall notch behind the steering wheel to get access to the passenger compartment. Always run power lines direct to the battery as it will cut down on external engine noise. I used house wire (12/3) for this.
    I've been a ham operator for 11 years now. It is a great hobby. Just think being able to talk to someone in another country from your Explorer on the way to work in the morning (once your license allows this). There are 6 different classes of license for ham radio according to your passing of tests (entry level test does not require you to learn morse code). The price for each test is under $10.00 and lasts ten years.To get more information, look at www.arrl.org . This is the website for the American Radio Relay League. They will give you all the info on ham radio including where and when to take the tests in your part of the country. You can pick up a copy of the study manual for the Technician Class License at your local Radio Shack. Look at some of the other postings for ham radio here in this section.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-29-99).]

4. Scott Bosso

Scott Bosso Guest

Jaytee,

I mounted my CB antenna in the middle of the roof - the reason being to have an equal amount of the vehicle all around the antenna. The vehicle acts as a ground plane, and the even distribution allows equal performance from any direction. In other words, if you mount an antenna on your right rear bumper, you will have maxium performance (ie, distance of signal travel) in the direction of your left front fender.

To mount the antenna to my roof, I had to remove the headliner. Not a hard job, but a pain in the butt. If you do this, have at least one extra set of hands.

------------------
    Scott
    sjbosso@mindspring.com

5. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Jaytee - HAM radio is the way to go, but if you are not inclined to testing...
    The name of the game for CB antennas is - THE HIGHER THE BETTER. On a vehicle there is not much chance for height so keep it on the roof, and as centered as possible.
    I have a K40 magmounted antenna on my Ranger, toward the back of the cab; works good. When I mount an antenna on my '92 Navajo, still working on it, I will use another K-40 mounted in front of the roof rack. I have not decide if I want to go through the roof to mount the antenna as yet, but it may happen.
    I also use a rubber duck for trail runs in wooded areas. The K40 has a twist off feature that allows use of a small attachment to mount a 3/8-24 threaded device.
    Good Luck,

------------------
    Sandy Balzarini
    n1mau@gis.net
    '92 Navajo Project