best rim size for all season daily driver? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best rim size for all season daily driver?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
thinking of replacing my stock 15" with something nicer, but I want to keep it practical for daily driving in all seasons. which size rim do you guys think would meet these goals the best? i want to get 1 set of wheels that i can use everyday and not have to swap out with changing weather.

at first i wanted 20s but then that really wouldn't leave me much tire, even 18s seem kinda thin...should i go for 17s? maybe 18s? what do you recommend?

I'm running 16x8 rims, 265/75R16 tires for every day driving. Fairly easy to find replacement tires and no clearance issues. TT and shackles would clear better but I don't scrub on stock height

Really there isn't one magical size that is "best" rather it's more what you are wanting. Generally speaking, the smaller the wheel diameter, the cheaper the tires are and having more sidewall helps to result in a better ride.

I presume by how you worded it that you are wanting an aftermarket wheel but just about all of them are gonna need to be taken care of a lot in the winter especially if you all use a lot of salt. A lot of it is of course gonna come down to personal taste as well but personally id try to pick up a nice used set of factory style wheels in the 16-17 inch size and not worry about having to constantly maintain them.

If you're gonna go aftermarket, id stick to 16x8 or 15x8 as that is what I think looks best for a tire/wheel ratio and for this size vehicle but again that is going to vary person to person.

Goodluck

I wouldn't go bigger than 18's for year round performance. I used to run my 20's year round and the ride was a little harsh at times; they'd get packed with snow and it would throw off the balance.

Back