Best shocks 1996 RWD explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best shocks 1996 RWD explorer

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I'm just looking for updated information on the best shocks for my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT RWD, opinions for both street use, of reading, and a decent mix for both

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the forum, there are several topics and it basically boils down to the tradeoff between control w/ride harshness vs a smooth floaty ride, or more dampening if you haul a load or tow.

Only significant difference in your case with RWD is there's a little less weight up front so a little less dampening needed and yet, many would feel you still want similar damping up front as in the rear to maintain a good front/rear balance.

Well there is that other difference in that having RWD, your front shock options (and the stock spec) open up to include shocks with a full length tube because there is no CV axle that it has to clear, so I would go with the full length tube front shocks.

I used motorcraft love em
But that's just me
Lots of choices and threads as @J_C stated above

Yes - you'll get a lot of different opinions on this topic...

Personally, I've tried Monroe Sensatrac (now OE Spectrum), Monroe Reflex, and Gabriels. The Reflex shocks were too stiff and caused violent side-to-side motion if you went across a curb or speed bump at an angle. The Sensatrac and Gabriels are about the same and are "about right" for this kind of vehicle, in my opinion.

I also am a fan of the load-assist rear shocks with the built in coil spring. They don't cost that much extra and they do help prevent the rear from squatting down too much under load.

If you intend to tow, or carry some stuff with you, i'd recommend the gabriel or monroe load assist coil overs for rear.

Back