1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Best trunk liner for pet(s)?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Lhymes, November 15, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Lhymes

Lhymes Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Heya, just ordered my 2012 Explorer Limited yesterday. I'm in the process of getting a few much-needed accessories together. Looking for a good trunk liner for my dog that could hopefully work well for hauling stuff, also. My dog loves being in the car, so gets excited and sheds a lot in it lol. I'm hoping for something that can attract the fur (cloth of some sort maybe?), clean easy, and be rugged enough for hauling. I know, I know - kinda being picky lol. Any suggestions? Happy dog owners with 2011+ Explorers? Thanks!

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JustB_Rad

JustB_Rad Active Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee WI
    2011 Explorer XLT
    The Husky Liners are great. I have the entire set from front to back and am pleased with the money I spent on them.

4. Lhymes

Lhymes Active Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
    Heya thanks for the info. I do like what they look like on the site. My only concern is they appear to be hard plastic. I'm worried that if I have my windows down and dog in the back, his fur (longer coat; like 3-4 inches) might get blown up into the 2nd row area. Obviously it doesn't fall off him in sheets, but some hair getting blow up into the passenger area can build up quickly. Thanks!

5. new to ford

new to ford Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester Hills, MI
    11XLT202A 17Sport401A
    I have husky liners throughout the entire car and love them!

Regarding material, both husky and weather tech mats/liners are made out of rubber like plastic for a reason: the will hold any liquids from runing your carpet.

Sounds like what you need it to buy a scrap piece of clean/new carpet and custom cut-it to fit your ex.

6. boss377

boss377 Active Member

City, State:
    Annandale, Virginia
    2011 Limited
    The WeatherTech cargo liners are awesome. Light as a feather, and fit perfectly. It's the first thing I get for all my cars.

7. JustB_Rad

JustB_Rad Active Member

City, State:
    Milwaukee WI
    2011 Explorer XLT
    I think you're thinking right. I'd still get the liners and then cut a piece of carpet to go inside of it. Then your pets hair will be held onto something, but yet your Ex's carpet is protected against spills and accidents, and you can easily replace the piece of carpet laying on the top.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    WeatherTech or Husky. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I have the Husky mats and cargo mat. The front mats cover a little more than the WeatherTechs. I have posted pictures previously on another thread. As for the cargo mat, I frequently take yard waste, including branches, to the local dump for composting and when unloaded, I simply slide the mat out, give it a couple of shakes, and slide it back in. Wouldn't be without it.

Welcome to the Forum Lhymes :wavey: Nice to have you aboard.:thumbsup:

Peter

9. Lhymes

Lhymes Active Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
    Hey guys. Great input, thanks. Was kinda tired and not thinking straight this morn (dog practically dragged me outta bed lol). Based on the input, I'm going to go with some Husky liners and cut to fit some heavy duty carpeting a spray some abrasive on the back to prevent it from slipping around. I'll post the results once it's finished. Thanks!

Larry

10. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Larry, make sure you use my group buy and order over the phone for the special pricing. About 50% off their online prices and free shipping.

Speak with Andrea Coleman.

11. JohnnyDop

JohnnyDop Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    2012 Limited AWD
    Does the OEM Explorer Cargo mat cover the same way the WT/Husley liners do?

Which is easier to roll/fold (when the need to use the third row arises) and tuck behind the third row, Huskey or WT?

12. spitfisher

spitfisher Active Member

City, State:
    New England
    1995 Explorer XLT
    I have owned both weather tech and now husky, weather tech was in a previous vehicle. Both are great, I lucked out on ebay with husky front, 2nd and rear cargo, almost brand new for 1/2 the MSRP price. Any new car we buy thats the first ting that is bought, I save the car mats that come with it and put them in when ready for trade.

Dogs, not only is the car mat, with carper inside a good idea, but also a barrier might be a suggestion, that way windows, sunroof can be left open for a quick stop...

13. Falcor00

Falcor00 Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Does the cargo liners that extend from the 2nd row seats to the hatch bend or conform when the 3rd row seats are upright? Or do you have to remove the cargo liner?

14. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I believe that would be a 'NO'. However, I think that given the flexibility of the mat you could probably roll it up and put it in the well behind the 3rd row. I haven't tried it myself. My cargo mat came rolled up in a box.

Peter

15. Falcor00

Falcor00 Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Thanks... this has perked my interest. My only thought is if I have the 3rd row upright... what do I do with the mat? If I can roll it up, that would be great. This warrants a phone call to Husky...

16. Falcor00

Falcor00 Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Found this on a review of the WeatherTech option:

Shortly after my mom got her '07 Explorer, I bought the Cargo Liner from Ford. It was flimsy and ill-fitting. It didn't even fold up/down with the 3rd row seat. I decided to give WeatherTech a shot recently and ordered the Cargo Liner for her. It was available in tan to match the interior (Ford only offered black) and it is 2-pieces to accomdate the folding 3rd row seat. It's far better than the one Ford makes for their own vehicle...go figure! Now my sister wants one for her birthday...so I'll be ordering again!

17. davek4

davek4 New Member

City, State:
    Princeton, NJ
    2011 Ford Explorer
    I have a Weathertech rear mat. Works well for my German Shepherd. Not too hard,ot too slippery, easy to clean. Spepherds shed constantly but most of hair has stayed in the rear where I can easily clean it.
    Biggest issue has been that he slobbers over the rear console. I finally covered it with a towel. But the console makes him feel like he is closer to me, as opposed to the bench seat.

Dave

18. Lhymes

Lhymes Active Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
    Cool thanks for the info Dave! Yeah, my dog's a Belgian Shepherd mix. Might be over-thinking the situation. Will prob just go with a standard liner and see how it goes before worrying about carpet to catch the fur. One of my biggest reasons for rear bucket seats and console was to keep the puppy happy lol.

19. calb

calb Active Member

2012 AWD Explorer Limited
    So the WeatherTech cargo liner folds up and down with the third seat? Can someone confirm this?

20. Falcor00

Falcor00 Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2012 Explorer Limited
    From these pictures, it doesn't look like it.

Pictures

21. davek4

davek4 New Member

City, State:
    Princeton, NJ
    2011 Ford Explorer
    Carpet will catch the fur & be less slippery for Fido, but is virtually impossible to really clean. Shepherd hair seems to weave its way into the carpet fibers. I previously had a Volvo XC-90. I covered the back floor with Weathertech mat but the sides of the back were that short napped fuzzy stuff (almost like felt). Even had it professionally cleaned & detailed but hair would not come out.

Dave