Best Wiper Inserts at Advanced Auto Parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Wiper Inserts at Advanced Auto Parts?

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
I'm pretty disappointed with the wiper inserts that came on my new Ex...the driver side has a streak right across eye level and they just seem pretty flimsy. I recall picking up a new set at an Advanced Auto Parts off Route 90 near Waterloo, NY and the guy told me "Get the XXXXX brand, it's what I run on my F-350!"...but I can;t recall what the brand was.....I know that I LOVED them on my 2012 Ex.
May be AAP can look up what I bought with my member #, but I'd like to know if you all have a strong recommendation or two by brand or model? I know the ones I bought were not Bosch or Rain-X....beyond that I can't recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t have any comment regarding what AAP carries, but I’ve had a few different brands of wiper blades on my Ex. Here’s my experience/opinions.
1. Factory: These were actually pretty good and did last quite some time.
2. RainX latitude: These were also good, but not cheap and didn’t really last any longer.
3. Michelin Stealth: I have these on right now. They worked well when they were new and in warm weather. Once weather got cold, performance dropped. Now that it’s warming up again, they are working OK(just getting worn). The good thing is that these were less than ½ the cost of the RainX(but is shows in performance). I would run these on a warm weather vehicle or during summer months, but I think I’ll try something else(maybe back to RainX) for next winter.

One comment: Get some of the RainX window treatment. I’m not talking the RainX washer fluid, but the stuff you apply to the windshield and “buff” out. I’ve been running that for years and all my vehicles(and my wife’s) get the treatment a couple times a year. With RainX, at highway speeds you don’t need your wipers. No I’m not a spokesperson or distributor of the stuff, it just works.

I use Bosch Icon (they sell them at AAP) in conjunction with Rain-X windshield coating.

I'm pretty disappointed with the wiper inserts that came on my new Ex...the driver side has a streak right across eye level and they just seem pretty flimsy. I recall picking up a new set at an Advanced Auto Parts off Route 90 near Waterloo, NY and the guy told me "Get the XXXXX brand, it's what I run on my F-350!"...but I can;t recall what the brand was.....I know that I LOVED them on my 2012 Ex.
May be AAP can look up what I bought with my member #, but I'd like to know if you all have a strong recommendation or two by brand or model? I know the ones I bought were not Bosch or Rain-X....beyond that I can't recall.
There is a general thread on wiper blades if that is of any help;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364004&highlight=wiper+blades

Peter

Here is what this stormchaser recommends:

Bosch Icon blades.

RainX rain repellant. You can spend your cash on those long lasting coatings, but for a 3rd the price, a spray bottle of RainX will last you just about the life of your car. I have 4 cars, and a bottle of RainX in the garage that I have had for nearly a decade.
Apply as per the instructions. Reapply after a week or the first couple rainstorms or carwashes. After three applications, you'll probably be good for the rest of the year. The first application is a PITA, but they get easier as you build up the coating. Some people complain about it causing streaks when you do use your wipers. If it is not applied right or the repellant needs to be reapplied, yes, it will streak. if it is done right, you'll be streak free.

RainX washer fluid. After the first couple of RainX applications, this stuff will help the rain repellant last virtually forever.

NOTE: I am not a paid spokesman for RainX products. Just a very pleased consumer.

I don't use nor like rain x product.

most modern polymer polishes will work just as well and you're already putting it on the paint. or well you should be.

product that works the best over all - PPG Aquapell. harder than hell to find these days but I think it's advance that carries it. or Oriely.

one or the other.

Made be PPG - they actually make glass.

and it's the same hydrophobic compound product we put on aircraft windows. Not all aircraft have wipers - so they are required to have a hydrophobic compound appled to them every ________ flight hours.

stuff works great - repells dirty water really well too. Also clears - never hazes and tollerates other chemicals. like those bug spray wash solutions. however it's also slick enough that bug guts doesn't seem to hang on as much.

The early printing of the 2011 Owner's Guide actually contained a warning to avoid using products like Rainex. It was removed in subsequent printings. No reason was ever given.

Peter

The early printing of the 2011 Owner's Guide actually contained a warning to avoid using products like Rainex. It was removed in subsequent printings. No reason was ever given.

Peter

"Only use a washer fluid that meets Ford specifications. Do not use any
special washer fluid such as windshield water repellent type fluid or bug
wash. They may cause squeaking, chatter noise, streaking and smearing.
Refer to the Maintenance product specifications and capacities
section in this chapter."

This must be what you were talking about because it is in the 2011 but not my 2013 manual.

I don't know why they even put that in there, I feel like products like Rain-X actually cut down on chattering as they lower the friction on the windshield.

When I first read your statement I was thinking that it may affect the rain sensor.

Back