1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

BFG km2 vs. Goodyear MT/r

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Gse Brent, July 13, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Gse Brent

Gse Brent Active Member

City, State:
    Small Wonder
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I'm about to order my tires and i was going to buy the BFGoodrich mud terrain km2s. I was told to go with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R instead. Any thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    I have GoodYear DuraTrac's and like them alot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    I went through 2 sets of the MTR's, and loved them! Too bad they stopped making them, except for one small stock size, as far as I can tell, so good luck if you want those.
    I'm getting the KM2's next month, and I'm sure they'll be great. I ran the original BFG MTs for years before the MTRs.
    I would give serious consideration to those DuraTracs if they made them in my size, but they only go up to 33".

5. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    I thought they just redesigned the MTR's ???

6. RangerX

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Oops, you're right! I was thinking of the last version, which for me was much better, and lots cheaper. I had 2 sets of that old style. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Gse Brent

Gse Brent Active Member

City, State:
    Small Wonder
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I'm only doing 33x12.5x15s so i can do either one. I like the tread pattern on the new mtr's and i'm told they're "self cleaning". I just know BFGoodrich is a good brand.

8. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...It all depends on what you are using them for..:dunno:

...I loved the old MT/R's and went thru 3-4 sets on my X...Great tire, I mean really great off road tire, probably the best for resisting punctures and cuts but they would get ate up on asphalt pretty quickly..I think they are almost bullet proof..:hammer:

...I have the KM2's currently on my X and I'm still on the fence about them for offroad...They seem to handle everything well with a nice tread design but I've punctured one it's first trip out and got some quick gash's which I will be watching them closely the next couple of trips...They seem softer and I noticed they got even softer over a weekend of wheeling...For highway driving, they are much better than the old MT/R's as in quiet and mileage..

...As for the new MT/R's, you might read thru this thread and make your own decisions...It also has some Duratac info to IIRC...Seems like those with the Duratrac's are happy with them..
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238119&highlight=goodyear

..BFG A/T's, can't go wrong with them...I've had those on trucks steady for decades and they have never let me down...Been on my Ranger since I've had it and will be for a long time...:biggthump...Well, unless the Ranger outgrows them..:D

...Most tires today and since the 70's have a self cleaning design...

9. Blake A

Blake A Active Member

City, State:
    Florence, Alabama / Searcy, Arkansas
    2001 Sport Trac 4x4
    I have KM2s and i swear by them. Im in love with these tires and they ride great on the highway too. I havent found anything that could stop them so far. Plus arent they the cheaper of the two?

10. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...The KM2's are one of the less expensive tires...:biggthump

...I forgot to add and I'm not sure if this is still true but it's worth looking into before buying...The KM2's on a 15" wheel are only available in a "C" rating...You must have at least a 17" wheel to get the optional "D" or "E" rated tires...

11. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    I bought the DuraTrac's for $146 each at GoodYear dealer after searching web for best price of $167, went to GoodYear and they beat the price. They are a load range C tire on mine (33x12.50x15) but ride, handle, etc... So much better then the BFG T/A K/O load range D (285/75/16), world of difference. Plus the BFG's were $198 best price anywhere I could find, so I bought five matching rims/ tires for less then buying just tires. I don't have any issues with sidewall roll or anything else people say they get with these DuraTrac's with the C rating, most if not all those people if you read the reviews are driving fullsize trucks, mainly 3/4 ton or better that need a D/ E rated tire.

12. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St.Louis, MO
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    I had the KM2 tires and they were good when new. On the rocks they are great, but get into mud and/or snow and they did not perform well when they had some mileage on them. I have the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T now and so far they have been great. I personally wont buy KM2's again.

13. Gse Brent

Gse Brent Active Member

City, State:
    Small Wonder
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    This is going on my daily driver so its mostly highway use but i do a little offroading on the weekends. Nothing super crazy and mainly just big ruts and lots of mud. It seems like the km2s arent the best choice for offroading as opposed to the goodyears.

14. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...Actually, for what you want the KM2's just may be the perfect tire compared to the new MT/R's and they will last a lot longer also..Although, that's not ruling out the BFG AT KO's or the Duratracs...

15. Pickupman_69

Pickupman_69 Active Member

City, State:
    Aylmer
    03 Sport trac
    for a daily driver id lean towards the duratracs, I weighed all options and love them, for me I needed a great winter tire aswell and they are siped which was something most others dont have. these things self clean and love to chew mud. I go everywhere my buddies in 3/4 tons go and then down the small trails they cant fit on.

they also come in 10 ply if you want a little stronger tire but I have 6 ply and they are fine. 170cdn a tire was what I paid.

16. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    That's exactly why I got the DuraTrac's because we get nasty winters here in Pittsburgh and there really isn't any flat ground in the city so I need all the traction help I can get.

17. RangerX

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Agreed, the siping is why I wish the came in bigger sizes. Plus, they're good lookin'!

18. Gse Brent

Gse Brent Active Member

City, State:
    Small Wonder
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Ok so km2s are out now its between duratracs or mtrs. How are the duratracs as far as highway noise?

19. MidnightRebel07

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    You can't even tell their mud tires on the highway. Everything I read on the new redesigned MT/R's, they aren't that great in the snow and even worse on packed snow and ice, these are reviews from around the world too.

The only bad thing that I've read about the DuraTrac's is people bought the wrong load range for their fullsize trucks (3/4 ton and heavier) and they are too soft of a sidewall but that's because they just bought the tires for the tread pattern and didn't study up on the tires they should've installed on their trucks.

20. Pickupman_69

Pickupman_69 Active Member

City, State:
    Aylmer
    03 Sport trac
    they are slightly louder then my goodyear silent armours i had on before these

21. Gse Brent

Gse Brent Active Member

City, State:
    Small Wonder
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Ok so i'm pretty set on the duratracs but just for opinions how does everyone feel about the nitto mud grapplers? Minus their howl at speeds and their price, how good of a tire are they? The tread looks insanely aggressive and they even make 33x13.50 and 35x14.50.