Big Block In 1st Gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Block In 1st Gen?

Im losing antifreeze in my motor and im starving for power so I was thinking just rip the motor out and replace with something bigger instead of fixing the 4.0 and it still have the power of a smart car.

Truck is 4WD and auto.

I want to go AT LEAST 351W - 460 while still maintaining 4WD and auto, if possible.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if you could use the running gear from a 4x4 f 250/350 but I'd love to see you do this. It sounds awesome.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well 351W is a smallblock and a 460 is a big,heavy brute of a big block.It will cost you a fortune to shoehorn a 460,tranny and transfer case into an explorer.

Everything will have to be fabricated,the 8.8 will never hold up and you are looking at a narrowed Dana 60 in the front.Drive shafts,cooling system,etc.

If you have a deep wallet anything is possible,why not take a spin in a 5.0 Explorer and consider performance upgrades to it,fast enough to get you in tons of trouble.

I just don't consider it to be anything close to practical to do,you are talking 5 figures easy. :D

... fabricated,the 8.8 will never hold up ...QUOTE]

Why won't the 8.8 hold up? They are used in high powered drag cars all the time. They could probably handle 300-400 HP reliably without any modification.

... fabricated,the 8.8 will never hold up ...QUOTE]

Why won't the 8.8 hold up? They are used in high powered drag cars all the time. They could probably handle 300-400 HP reliably without any modification.

I was thinking the same thing. But im just worried about getting the thing sitting in there correctly and getting the transfer case bolted up and the driveshafts the length they need to be.

I could do all the little thing like radiator, throttle linkage, fuel, exhaust. Just needed your guys input on this topic.

I know 351W is a small block but i'd rather go the biggest block I can.

Are you looking at a carburated or efi engine?

Ok,knock yourself out on the 8.8 and a big block.But if it lasts I will be surprised.Again I don't think what you want is realistic but go for it and let us know how it works for you.:rolleyes:

Ok,knock yourself out on the 8.8 and a big block.But if it lasts I will be surprised.Again I don't think what you want is realistic but go for it and let us know how it works for you.:rolleyes:

Yeah the 8.8 must be so weak that they put it into the f-150's and full size broncos. Not to mention all of the drag racers that run them.

A 351w is as big as you can get without extensive custom work. I have a 351w in my Ranger SAS and it barely fits. I had to notch the frame to clear the headers, and had to remove the heater box also. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with a built 302, just cause it would be easier. A big block is too much for an RBV, it'll twist up the frame like a pretzel with all that torque, if you could somehow keep it from grenading your transmission and transfer case. I have a C6, NP205 combo in the Ranger, so it would handle the power, but we are talking extensive mods here. I had to fabricate just about everything to make these things fit. Custom driveshafts, cross members, shifter and linkage, different floor pan, total custom dash to get the gauges to work, etc. But hey, with enough money anything is possible. I've seen a Ranger with a blown 460 on rockwells turning 54" tires before. But to be honest, that was a tube car with a cab thrown on it.

If you want a big block in an Explorer, your best bet is to quarter an X body, and put it on a chopped 3/4 or 1 ton frame.

Check this link...

http://www.bigblockranger.com/ This is an EFI 460 running a C6...and it is lowered too...

I have only used either the 5 liter block based or the 5.8 liter block based engines in Ranger v8 conversions...The exhaust and the oil/cooling systems were always the nemesis for me...But I also kept the a/c, power steering, and power brakes in my trucks...

While I did modify the drivers side of the air box and replace the brake booster either with a smaller diameter booster or use a hydroboost booster, i also used the shorter explorer/sn-95 front end bracketing/water pump and usually an electric fan although some conversions did use a 10 blade engine driven fan and fan clutch...

Here is a picture of my 427 v8 using an engine driven fan & clutch in a 1st Gen Ranger...I would think the Explorer sheetmetal is similar...And it still runs a/c and power everything else...I trimmed the top of the radiator cowl but I didn't actually need to do so...Just use an aluminum crossmemberat the bottom of the core support for the radiator and move it down to match the fan placement...OR use an electric fan...

Attachments

• 100_0242.JPG
    100_0242.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,155

Yeah the 8.8 must be so weak that they put it into the f-150's and full size broncos. Not to mention all of the drag racers that run them.

And when was the last time the factory put a 460 in an F-150 or Bronco? There is a big difference in drag racing and off roading,my opinion is worth what you paid for it so prove me wrong and put the 460/8.8 in an Ex and run it.Talk is cheap.

For my money I would put at least a 9" in it.But then I wouldn't waste my money trying to do a conversion like that.Nice job ranger7ltr.:usa:

an 8.8 will hold up but youll have to build it to 9inch is better all those fox body mustangs that use an 8.8 do it because of class regulations

I just love people like you that talk through there oppinionated ass instead of experience.

I personally have a 93 F150 with a 460 pushin over 500 HP with a 4 speed manual trans, 9 inches of lift and 40 inch tires and after over a year now i havent had my STOCK 8.8 rearend fail.

Ide love to see you do this swap. Ive considered going with an EFI 460, E4OD combo in my 2001 explorer but i think i may just super charge my 5.0 instead...

If a guy in my area can drop a 454 into a 94 Jeep Cherokee then im pretty sure you can drop a 460 into an X. Yes many mods will be needed and a lot of blood sweat and tears most likey too. Id say go for it. Ive wanted to do the same in my X. LOL now im searching for a SVT superchargd engine. Good luck on the build.

Back