big block x? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

big block x?

1991x

Reaction score
City, State
neenah wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
has anyone ever put a big block into a 1st gen? i have a 91 that im bored with. i dont even drive it anymore. i tried to sell but no offers.

my uncle has a 460 ford bb that he said i could have if i put it in something.
has anyone ever tried or completed this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea, but I'll never know without following the thread ;)

I would assume if it fits in width-wise, it will probably give you problems both length-wise and height-wise. the oil pan will probably need work and headers seem to be a headache on the 302's. my vote: tape measure!

I would like to see this pulled off.

I dont think the explorer is wide enough in the engine bay to fit a big block
without some cutting .. If you dont care about the explorer then I say go for it.

I think I saw a 460 powered 2nd gen ranger on TRS.

alright well ill go grab some measurements this week and see what i can find out.

headers can be custom made to fit where they need to be. my only real worry was length i will most likely need to alter the firewall for it to fit. then make custom engine mounts. new trans mounts to hold a c6 swap in a ford 9" figure out some wiring and set it up to run carbs..

this might be a fun winter after all. lol any one need a 4.0 motor trans and transfer case+ rear end lol

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the 5.0 barely fits.

its alright i have decided to lean more twords a turbo setup

Just remember the cardinal rule of truck modifications, which goes double for explorers.

"Anything can fit, provided enough time, effort, and $$" :thumbsup:

Back