Big tires vs. Safety? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big tires vs. Safety?

I ordered some 32x10.5 Dueler M/T's. But before that i got a 2" Suspension lift so i could fit the beasts on. But one problem...... My parents wont let me put on the tires becuase they are dangerous and present insurance problems. What can i do to convince them to let me put the tires on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those are some good tires..... the tires are not dangerous.... and lifting a truck doesnt mean its dangerous.... it just means you have to act responsibly....

How can i convince them? Think of a good line to say. I really want to put them on!

Originally posted by Exploder Boy
I really want to put them on!

I understand your upset-ness... but come on. My problem lies with that you are trying to pull a quick one on them. Most of the guys on here with mods own their own vehicles, and accept FULL responsibilty for what they do. In your case, you still live at home, your still on your parents insurance, and probably, they help pay for the car, or gas, or did at one time... That means they DO have a say. Dont hear me wrong, big tires are great, but Im in your seat right now. I have to wait a lil bit and do things in moderation. 31's first, then a lift, then 33's... when done slowly... they are less likely to freak out. Make sense? Just my opinion... take it for what its worth...
--bryan

All i can say, is if you go up... gotta go out... and it sounds like you did, or are gonna do that. Two inches ain't $hit.... w/ 32x10.5's and 2in of lift, you very well may be as stable, if not more stable than ya were stock.... I've bein doin crap like this fer awhile... and I think it sounds like a nice setup, as well as safe.
Pete

I have paid for everything on that car by sacking groceries for 2 years. I alredy ordered a lift, and wouldn't it be more dangerous to have 235-75-15's on a lift , than snug 31's? I have been really lookin forward to bigger tires, b/c my ones now look so whimpy. Give me some advice.....

well i gotta say this... if you've been baggin groceries fer 2 years to get this stuff, congrats... cause i can only guess that job sucks... and when i assume this, if i were to bag groceries fer 2 years, id be gettin something I damn well want! If yer parents looked here, they'd most likely find more members who have rolled their vehicle while on stock tires, than lifted with bigger and wider tires. (rolling while wheelin doesn't count either!)
Pete

With 2" and 32x10.5, your truck will probably be more stable or as stable as stock. Especially if you get new rims that set out wider.

My truck handles so much better than stock it's not even funny!

on the flip side .....all trucks/suvs are more dangerous to the car drivers... body on frame contruction ...where as the frame is much higher than a car bumper(especially when lifted). so if you hit another car its most likely that you will pulverize the other car. Last month i saw a civic mowed down by a pathfinder. The pathy was litterally on top of the honda!

when you lift and sit higher......brake earlier.... "drive for other folks" ;)

hell i run 36's on my 1st gen.... and with the sway bars on... it handels and cruises down the road better than stock.... minus the tire noise but i like that :D hell i think a 32 10.50 on a 15x8 with a good offset it would handel real good....

yea, you also have a huge ass lift! Ihave 15x7 wheels, and no backspacing, but ohwell!

you can buy some wheel spacers .... give it a wider stance still either way youll be fine... with your stock wheels and 2 inch of lift you might run... id think... you can get some 15x8 rock crawlers for about 45 a peice.

Yea, i alerady have rock crawlers, and wheel spacers could be the ticket, but i have heard bad things about them, and they are too expensive!

you got rock crawlers and they are only 15x7? and everything everyone say about wheels spacers they dont know what they are talkin about.... i mean what do you think a wheel with a wider offset is? does the same thing... just as long as you have enough stud the thread them on its perfectly fine....

yep

Back