Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bigger Tire Wrong Speedo

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 97ExplorerXLTAWD, June 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 97ExplorerXLTAWD

97ExplorerXLTAWD Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
      I done a search about this, to see if i can answer my own question..
      possibly the answer is already here, but i didnt see, i am tired tho haha lol..

i got a 1997 Explorer, v8 awd..etc etc..

I have stock 235/75/15's

when i buy new tires, i will be upgrading to 31/10.5/15's

What color gear or tooth count do i need to replace the speedo gear with?

thanks!!

also.. im going to TT and shackle the rear soon to.. i read that the explorer clears 31's no problem with stock lift, but you know, i want some lift sometime!

ive been in school before, i was quite good at Alighnments, HOWEVER, i dont recall getting the chance to align a vehicle with Torsion Bars..
      correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt a TT only adversly affect the camber?
      i ask this because my front tires already lean in torwards the motor... (and i dont mind leaving it this way) ((and wouldnt doing a TT actually straigten the camber up?) would i be alright then with just checking the TOE angle?

thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, Pa.
      2003 Explorer Sport Trac
      With the larger tires your speedo will read less miles then actually traveled, going up in gears will solve this. Say if you have 3.73's go up to 4.10's and it'll put less strain on the drivetrain.

As far as the TT goes, you'll want to get a full alignment after doing it (remeber no more then 2" TT). if your tires are already leaning in that's a good clue to that your lower ball joints are going or are bad.

I just did all four ball joints on my lifted '03 Sport Trac, got an alignment because I bought new rims and tires and I didn't want to chew them up. My old tires wer wearing uneven on the inside so I didn't want to chance it, I also installed Caster/Camber adjustment bolt kits on both sides.

I'll be doing all four ball joints on my wifes 1997 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD because I'm getting her new tires and the tires are leaning in and I know the upper ball joints are shot.

Go to rockauto.com, they have them cheap. I bought Raybestos Pro Grade uppers and lowers for both the ST and Mounty. There's discount codes here on the vendors section for them too.

4. 97ExplorerXLTAWD

97ExplorerXLTAWD Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma
      1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
      ya, i plan to put some 4.10's on it also, but when i get to wyoming i wont be doing to much long driving anyways so the 3.73's wont kill me for a while..

the speedo gear is like a hole 8 dollars and takes 3 seconds to change, so i would like to do that so i wont have a wrong speedometer. but i dont know which one i need.

As far as ball joints are concerened..i replaced all 4 of them 2/3 weeks ago.
      and put new shocks on the front. I need to buy a camber kit for it to fix the camber alignment "properly" anyways...

Im cheap...lol...so when i look at the tires leaning in torwards the motor..i see it as an agressive sticky note that says ROTATE ME OFTEN!! lol. which is fine..id rather rotate tires every 1,000 miles then pay to fix it.

question about the torsion twist.. ive read about it before so i was already affirmative on the 2 inches...however, i way 250 pounds, and the gas tank is also on the driver side.. any recomendations on how to counter the extra weight on one side.?? like raise it an extra bit? or??

thanks

Last edited: June 23, 2011