Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts

The family is getting into biking and we have a need to bring all 4 bikes with us in our 2013 Limited. Loading them in the cargo area works but is not ideal. We'd like to get a bike rack and at least one of the major brands says their trunk mount unit works with the 2013 Explorer but others who have the same design say theirs does not work.

Looking at the design of the hatch, I would think that attaching a trunk mount rack is not ideal due to how the spoiler gets in the way as well as the lack of gap at the forward edge of the spoiler not really being a good place to hook the straps in.

We're not really wanting to add a towing hitch and spend the extra money but from searching this forum it seems that's the only sensible thing to do.

Anyone using a trunk mount rack on a 5th gen explorer? Any other thoughts?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it disables the power function completely.

Mine does not disable the key fob. Just a heads up to check first before anything bad happens.

Im going to double check mine tomorrow though

Do they make a cool Mountain Bike rack attachment, I'll be looking for one when I buy my new 16 Sport.

Do they make a cool Mountain Bike rack attachment, I'll be looking for one when I buy my new 16 Sport.
Don't recall seeing any photos here for the roof although a couple posts talk about it. This is a thread showing ones attached to the tow hitch and I have moved your post to it.

Peter

Don't recall seeing any photos here for the roof although a couple posts talk about it. This is a thread showing ones attached to the tow hitch and I have moved your post to it.

Peter

OK, really want a roof rack if possible, but i'll check out the hitch ideas in this thread. I just don't like them as much if there is a lift gate as they will be in the way, My Yakima hitch bike carrier does tilt forward and would probably work as is on a Explorer, just wanted to know what roof rack options were around since they were specifically talking about the roof rack and thule making attachments in the thread I posted in....

Any suggestions for trunk mounted bike racks for 2 bikes on a 2013 Explorer XLT? Thanks!

If you don't have a receiver on it put one on it and then use it for a bike rack.

Back