Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

binding when turning

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by akronzips2016, December 26, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. akronzips2016

akronzips2016 New Member

City, State:
    louisville, ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 explorer
    i just bought a 98 auto 4x4 for 400 bucks and fixed the power steering now when i turn sometimes it binds then you will hear a loud pop and then its fine and the 4x4 lights will flash. i disconnected the transfer case motor and drive it and it did not do it. now i was on a navigator forum and they said that means that a sensor is bad on the transfer case. to my knowledge there is only one speed sensor on the transfer case and that drives the speedometer correct? any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated also will the auto 4x4 work without the transfer case motor hooked up?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    Sounds like the 4WD is engaged.

4. akronzips2016

akronzips2016 New Member

City, State:
    louisville, ohio
    1998 explorer
    I figured but will the auto 4x4 still work without the transfer case motor plugged in? Also what would be the problem causing it to switch into 4x4 high

We Support Our Troops!