Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops, didn't mean to post that, the link doesn't work either.. .. :(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The rear track bar bracket seems much more stout than the front. I am not taking on a six month project here, just helping my neighbor out to save him some money. We did a trade, I help him pick lift and install, he gave me the old tires/wheels for Sarah's Ranger (same size). My neighbor really just wanted the look of a off-road capable Jeep. I talked him into getting a kit with longer lower control arms, a new front track bar, drop pitman arm, Fox 2.0 shocks, etc., so it would ride more like stock, and would be a capable off-road vehicle if/when he gets bitten by the bug after I take him out on a couple of easy trails. It will save him a lot of money in the long run if he does decide to off-road it in the future. I also drove one of my other neighbor's Jeeps with a "make it taller" lift and it drove like crap. Bump steer, shorter wheel base, crazy drive line issues, all the stuff you don't want.

I agree. You can get great performance and ride out of a 3" or shorter lift on a tj. The jump to anything more requires a lot more parts to get it to work properly. But honestly, a 3" lift with away bar discos will out wheel most rbvs including heavily modded ones. My wife's tj with 30s and a 3" lift would almost ramp 1000. (Super frustrating to wheel with when my ex had years and thousands and all it had was a cheap lift). The short wheel bases have the quirks, however.It is pretty tough to beat a lj. That's why I have one. The xjs are great platforms too, but I can't stand the unibody. To be honest if the Comanches came in an extended cab I wouldn't have a ranger.

Gratuitous picture of neighbor's cute Jeep.
IMG_20150625_101415389_HDR_Large_.jpg

He likes the look of the Explorer so much he got the same wheels. Funny thing about those Jeeps; it took us two days to R&R the front axle, and two hours to do the rear.

Little air filters on breather ends. I was concerned about one-way air flow, but could breath through them, so they should be fine.
Rear Diff. Lots of room up behind and above the rear axle for a air tank.
IMG_20150625_110504062_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150625_110509792_Large_.jpg

Front diff and transfer case breathers on firewall. I figured if I get into that deep of water, I will have a lot more to worry about than water in fluids.
IMG_20150625_111810834_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150625_111835459_Large_.jpg

Took the Explorer out fishing today. Went to a spot I haven't been in at least a decade, and there were "no dogs" signs all over (love the City of San Diego). Ended up at Fiesta Island, which is located in Mission Bay. Its the only beach left you can park on, and have a dog off-leash.
Quivera Basin, where I was planning on going;
IMG_20150629_124553569_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150629_124534318_Large_.jpg

Fiesta Island, where I ended up going;
IMG_20150629_141737281_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150629_141812941_Large_.jpg

This dummy was spinning donuts in the dirt (also illegal) and ended up stuck at the water's edge. He was buried up to the frame on the left side. I was nice enough to winch him out. The pic is post winch.
IMG_20150629_150703571_Large_.jpg

Caught a bunch of rays and sharks, and one little baby kelp bass. All in all, a decent day.

You went fishing without us????!!!!!:(

I did. Lately, I have been going a few days a week, when the mood strikes. Usually, I just walk down the hill to Miramar Lake. A 17 pound largemouth was caught there in April.

So now your saying size matters? lol But still you could have called! lol even got a new kayak

Need some opinions:

I am permanent mounting my air tank and compressor. Its a Puma 12 volt and its large. I can mount it in one of two locations. Either, the compressor can mount into the fender well under the interior panel as shown below, with the tank underneath where the spare tire used to dwell (tank doesn't fit where I had hoped in front of the axle), or I can keep the compressor mounted to the tank and just mount both in the old spare tire well.

Pros/cons with both locations:
Inner Fender compressor, spare tire well tank: Cons; it will be loud in the cabin area, I have to run a bunch of wiring and hose, and it might have overheating issues. The plan if it goes here is to cut a 4" circular hole in the interior panel directly above/around where the cooling fins are located. Will still need to make some type of removable cradle for the tank to help protect it from the elements, and be able to remove the auxiliary battery that is also under there.
Pros; it will be protected from the elements, and sit upright.

Compressor and tank in spare tire well: Cons; compressor will be exposed to the elements, compressor will be on its side (don't know if that's an issue), will have to construct some type of case that allows air flow but protects unit from the elements, and is easily removed to remove auxiliary battery.
Pros; compressor and tank will be as built, no need to run extra hose, wiring up will be a breeze, just one relay with a "on in run" wire to activate, only need to relocate the regulator/hose connection to a more accessible location.

Opinions / Suggestions???

Pics of inner fender mounting location:
IMG_20150703_120015576_Large_.jpg

IMG_20150703_120023805_Large_.jpg

Underneath presents another problem. Sucking water into the compressor during deep water crossings. I had that issue with first ARB compressor which was mounted under the truck.

BTW, don't forget that any hardware going through the wheel well will potentially rub on the tire if you stuff that far.

I would run the compressor inside, for protection. I agree with it getting hot inside. They get hot enough to burn you after just a few mins of running. I would be nervous with it inside there. Can you mount it on top of the cargo well trim panel, or does have to be hidden?

For the cabin noise concern... Here is an out of the box idea. I have seen a dead quite setup with a 1" shop vac tube attached to the air output on the compressor that goes thru the body with a small breather filter to baffle the sound. Where to route that on Ex? No idea, but thru the corner of the roof could work. :scratch:

Thanks, keep them coming. I love informed opinions.

If it goes inside, it has to be inside the right-rear quarter fender well. Not for hidings sake, but because sometimes I pack the cargo area full and go on week long off road trips. There is no where else to put it that will be out of the way. I could put it where there is a recessed storage area with netting, some models have a sub-woofer in there. I use that to store oil and trans fluid. I could open that up and put a metal screen across the opening to give it plenty of air and space to run cooler.

If I went through a water crossing deep enough to get it wet in the spare tire well, I would already have water inside the passenger compartment. I ran a ARB compressor inside the frame rail back there for years and never soaked that, and it was lower than where I am thinking.

No stuffage, tires don't go to the top of the wheel well.

Does a compressor that is not running still get water inside of it? I was going to make it a on in run/demand set up, but could easily wire in a switch.
Or should I just say screw it and leave it portable?

Does a compressor that is not running still get water inside of it? I was going to make it a on in run/demand set up, but could easily wire in a switch.
Or should I just say screw it and leave it portable?

I can't say for certain. Give the manufacturer or distributor a call and see what they have to say.

How about mounting them on their side? Would gravity put pressure on one side of the piston causing it to wear faster?

How about mounting them on their side? Would gravity put pressure on one side of the piston causing it to wear faster?

I don't think it would be signficant.

"Boxer" motors like the VW and Porsche all operate with their pistons moving horizontally.

I think if I mout the compressor where the recessed storage is, I can mount the tank in front of it in the inside of the fender. It would solve most if the issues, if it fits.

That would be a slick place for it.

The arb had a removable filter for the intake. I removed mine and plumbed in some clear tube and put the intake up higher. I am sure you could piece something together to move your intake? I mounted mine to that flat plate accross from the battery that almost looks like a battery tray in the engine compartment.

The other issue is if smack a wall and push that area in on the body, that thing is toast.

Don't ask me how I know this:shifty_ey

Back