Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by BKennedy, June 4, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      Oh that's right. I forgot your not TRE:frown:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1991 Ranger
      Brian- I replaced mine with a Ford oem box it was expensive, but good. I have heard good things about a company called red head I think. The rebuild them with good parts and paint the cap red.

Stic-o- I run the magical cure. I am not very impressed honestly. It didn’t live up to the hype. If the tierod roll bothers you- put your left tie rod end at bump to the front and your right tie rod end to bump at the rear and tighten your jam nuts down. That will fix it.

Last edited: October 31, 2018
    4. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I thought about putting the heims at bump on both sides to prevent roll, but thought it might cause binding.

5. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Over the past few days I have torn down the front axle to replace the leaking inner seals. What a pain. The seals was the easy part. Repacked the wheel bearings, and cleaned up stuff while I was in there.
      I am a huge fan of LubeLocker gaskets, makes pulling and reinstalling covers very easy.
      Front (love that elocker)
      20181126_113713.jpg
      20181126_113726.jpg

Rear. It didn't need a fluid change, but since I was doing the front I decided to do the back. It also gives me the opportunity to weld on RockRanger's 8.8 diff rock sliders (more on this later).
      20181128_111848.jpg

All the stuff needed to pull to get to the seals.
      20181126_123401.jpg

I forgot to take a picture, but I was having trouble removing the carrier because I don't have a spreader and am a little nervous about using one anyways. I remembered a old trick my Dad did when we were rebuilding the rear diff on my 1968 El Camino when the carrier wouldn't come out. I stuffed a rag into the ring gears at the pinyon and turned the gears by using a wrench on ring gear bolts. Sucker popped right out.
      I use Lucas 85-140 because the guy who built the front axle likes it, and conventional fluid is recommend by Eaton. Its a pain to fill the diffs with it because its like sticky syrup but it works. The Detroit locker in the rear has been in there since 2002 and still looks new. I hang the bottles up with a hole cut in the bottom and come back in a few hours.
      20181128_151855.jpg

I got the front back together and its filling with quart #2 as I am writing this. I am getting tired of looking at rusty brake calipers so I finally decided to use a Rustoleum caliper paint kit I purchased on sale several months ago. They only had red which isn't my first choice but it was cheap. I should get that done tomorrow and will post how it goes. I am going to weld on the 8.8 slider kit, then refill the rear diff with my hang and drain method while I prep and paint the brake calipers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      How many times can you reuse the lubelocker gaskets?

7. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Lube-Locker says they do not endorse reuse, but the vendor I purchased them through has reused his diff and transmission gaskets multiple times on his Ultra4 car without issue. davesoffroadsupply.com I get most of my off-road stuff through him because he has outstanding customer service and he will price match just about anything. I have their gaskets on the Explorer diffs and transmission, and my Silverado diff. This is the first time I have reused the diff gaskets. On the transmission I reused the gasket several months ago and no leaks. They are $20-$25 each so not too expensive. Its worth the price to not have to mess with sealant, especially if it is a trail repair.

8. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Worked on my RockRanger 8.8 diff slider today. Those of us who drag the 8.8 over rocks have felt it catch on the large lip on the bottom of the housing. This should get rid of that by making a nice thick ramp for the rocks to slide off. About a year ago he sent me a USPS flat rate bag with a bunch of cut plate inside. There are some 1/4" and 3/16" thicknesses.

20181129_095857.jpg

I bent them a little and stacked the three plates that would fit the best to fill that rock catching space on the bottom of the pumpkin.
      20181129_095919.jpg

Ended up with this
      20181129_101656.jpg

Tacked up
      20181129_110207.jpg

Welded with several passes to make flat plate rounded
      20181129_113250.jpg

Lots of grinding and got this ancient artifact looking chunk of steel
      20181129_120307.jpg

Welded it to the bottom of the diff with two passes in most places to round off the edges. My little welder that could (Lincoln WeldPack 100 HD) finally quit on me as I was finishing up the last spot. I think the trigger failed. I will take it apart later.

Edit: Must have got hot and stopped because welder is working fine now. I remember now I overheated it a few times when plating the frame for the coil over mounts and it did the same thing.

And got this..
      20181129_124344.jpg

Just kidding. I decided to cover it up with a welding blanket for a few hours because its cold and raining here today and I have never welded a diff before so I didn't want to take any chances of it cracking. I will pull the blanket off in a few hours and post some pictures. I am taking a break and decided to post my progress. I will be working on the brake caliper paint job next.

Last edited: November 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      I don't think I've ever caught my rear diff, that I'm aware of. :dunno:

10. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Finished product
      20181129_140942.jpg

20181129_141005.jpg
      Painted (rocks point of view)
      20181129_141148.jpg

Hanging diff fluid bottle. Going to have to use the squeeze and curse method on the last bottle since the rear takes 2 full quarts and about 1/3 more.
      20181129_145018.jpg
      I decided to wait for better weather to paint calipers.
      Before I retired, I would have had this done in a weekend. Now, everything seems to take twice as long.

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      Why is your driveshaft backwards?:eek: shouldn't the slip yoke be on the transmission side?

12. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Then I guess you don't need to ask Matt to cut you out a kit for that....:cool2:

Its always been like that. The only changes I ever had done to it are its longer than OEM and has a double cardan joint at the transfer case. What you talkin' bout' Willis??

13. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Steve, if you have a DC joint at the transmission, the slip is on the axle side. All toyotas have this setup too.

and "cold" hahahahaha

diff slider looks good, and when i go to replace my inner axle seals, I'll definitely give that rag trick a shot. It was a pain in the arse to get mine out when I did the locker. Also, I believe Lube Locker does say they are reusable now, they just don't list how many times. I remember reading it when I ordered the replacement for the front because my dumb ass threw the old one away. I believe for the D44 they are around 14-17 bucks on amazon

14. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Okay, colder than normal. I was still working on the Explorer in shorts but I had a sweater on for the first 15 or so minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    15. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Definitely going to give that lube locker gasket a try. Especially with aftermarket diff covers that have a square edged flange, it's impossible to pry those off.

Also I caught my 8.8 on a rock on the Rubicon, which lead to my front tires just spinning, which lead to a broken front axle. That slider mod is a good idea!

• Like Like x 1
    16. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I always forget that with the pinyon angle my 8.8 takes 3.0 quarts to fill it just below the hole. I spent ten minutes squeezing the last friggin bottle of 85-140. Book says 5.3 to 5.8 pints. Need to remember to just hang all 3 quart bottles when filling the rear diff and call it good.

Got the calipers painted and put the Explorer back together. Yep, they are red, dark blood red. The paint kit is a brush on style and I am still not sure how it will hold up. Its thick paint that goes on rough but lays down flat in a few minutes. Kind of a pain to use, especially on the fronts because they are heavy and its awkward holding them in with one hand and brushing with the other. Have to wait 24 hours before reassembly. I waited at least that long and it was still soft in a few spots. The kit also says there is enough paint for 4 calipers but there is 3/4 of the can left over, and I put it on heavy. At least its better looking than rust. Would not recommend for a show car or hot rod.
      20181204_112106.jpg
      20181204_112125.jpg
      20181204_123515.jpg

20181204_132526.jpg

@R.J., this is for your FJ buddy, sorry I can't remember his name. Cardboard and spray paint makes touching up the sliders and bumpers from the last Truckhaven trip a few minute job.
      20181204_125220.jpg

I also installed a new Synergy lower track bar bushing. I could not locate just the lower track bar mount and mine has a heim at the top mount so if anyone needs a spare upper track bar bushing for a 73-79 F-100 or F-150, or 78-79 Bronco, let me know.

Last edited: December 4, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    17. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Looks good Brian.
      I have been running the plates on the bottom of my 8.8 the last 4 years or so. I have liked it. It helps slide over rocks that you would otherwise get hooked on. I will still hang a diff up every once in a while but not as much as before.

18. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      Bust out the letter punches and mark the diff cover "3Qt."

19. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      I was actually looking at the Navajo rear axle, and @R.J. had the bottom plated. Similar to yours, but I think it's 1 big piece. Also has some parts hollow so air can vent through it I believe.

20. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      Just noticed your 7 pin trailer connector on the bumper. Has it ever been hit wheeling?

I am installing one soon, and was thinking a drop off a shelf would take it out, and was thinking of cutting and recessing it. Rather not do all that, if it doesn't have to be.

21. kmack

kmack Member

City, State:
      San Antonio, TX
      1993 Ford Explorer
      My little HF MIG welder I bought 18 years ago used to do the same thing if you tried to weld constantly for too long. It would hit the top-end of the duty cycle and then quit until the transformer cooled down.

My fix was to add a cooling fan from an older stand-up style desktop computer. I tried to wire it up so the fan would only run when the main switch was turned on, but it ended up running as soon as you plug the welder in. Not a bad thing, really. I turn my welder off when I'm done and it continues to cool down until I unplug it.

In the last 18 years, I have never had that little welder shut off on me again because it got hot! I'll run out of wire before it ever hits the top-end of the duty cycle again!

Awesome build, btw! Very well thought out and looks great!

22. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      That 7 pin connector has been mounted to the bumper face for at least 15 years. Its never been hit wheeling, and when I am out on a trail in a tight spot and I need to reverse, I will on occasion back up until I make contact with whatever is behind me (rocks, embankments, other vehicles, etc). I think the spare tire protects it from straight impacts, and its high enough up the bumper face that it doesn't get hit while sliding off shelfs, rocks, whatever. Its also only sticking out about 1/2" from the bumper face. The bumper contacts the ground regularly while on the trail.

Thanks for the info. It rarely overheats, and its only when I am welding for a long time at the max settings.

• Like Like x 1
    23. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      Other vehicles! Haha!

Thanks for that, I feel better about mounting it to the bumper face now.

24. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      That was the previous guy. I bought the axle like that.

25. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Now that would have been a great idea if I hadn't put it all back together already. I need to write up a year/make/model the parts came from, and fluid capacity sheet anyways. The Explorer has so many different drivetrain parts from different vehicles its hard to keep track.

Took it for a drive around town running errands, and nothing is leaking. I didn't find a rock to drive up on to test the top of the axle seals, but I will save that for the next off-road trip.

While I was working on the 8.8 skid, I thought about there not being a gap for air. Then, I thought about all the weight that little spot has to handle if the rear wheels come off the ground. Stacking the plates spreads out the load throughout the bottom of the diff. The cast steel to plate steel welds do not have to absorb the load, just hold the plates in place.

Whenever I have reached under to feel the diff its never been more than warm so I don't think heat dissipation will be an issue.

26. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I was thinking about my dreamer list for the Explorer and I am almost out of stuff to dream about. All I could think to add are some mostly very expensive stuff, I decided to start a new thread..
      Santa's List for Offroad Projects??