• Register Today It's free!

Black Explorer Headlights

SUL73NAZ

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Which ones are people using? I am looking to get a set for my rig but am curious to see how the aftermarket ones hold up (oxidation, fading, yellowing etc). I know anzo usa is a name brand and known quantity but if the fleabay ones hold up just as fine I will buy those. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you considered just blacking the OEM's? There is a decent DIY guide on here somewhere, excellent results too. (you would still need to get black corners of ebay)

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my headlights have seen better days & are beyond repair (I've tried wet sanding them but they are badly oxidized) that's what 10+ years in the AZ sun will do to anything!!!

I haven't had them for all that long, but I got some off ebay that I really like. I figured for the price, they are worth it. I had one headlight that was all messed up, otherwise I had considered the DIY route but it was pretty foggy.

20140307_142659_zpsb5a53531.jpg

i got mine off of ebay almost five years ago. they still look amazing.

i got mine off of ebay almost five years ago. they still look amazing.

Glad to hear they are holding up! So you have not had any problems at all with oxidation or condensation? Thanks.

I modded my stock ones, bake, paint and reseal

9073D2A3-93B8-420F-84EC-774474235359_zpsqyajwzld.jpg

6786E763-69C9-4B0D-9C12-56572FBAD790_zps1tgujqfm.jpg

Also swapped fxr projectors while I had them open

I modded my stock ones, bake, paint and reseal

9073D2A3-93B8-420F-84EC-774474235359_zpsqyajwzld.jpg

6786E763-69C9-4B0D-9C12-56572FBAD790_zps1tgujqfm.jpg

Also swapped fxr projectors while I had them open

that looks good... I wish I could do the same but my lenses are oxidized so I am looking to replace the housings. Quick question, on the retrofit for the projectors; how does one mount them? I have always wondered.

that looks good... I wish I could do the same but my lenses are oxidized so I am looking to replace the housings. Quick question, on the retrofit for the projectors; how does one mount them? I have always wondered.

Gotcha! I have had good luck the eagle eye brand aftermarket lights. As for the projector there are 3 primary methods. All thread with lock nuts and bolts 4 are used one on each corner of the mounting flange on the projector. Or you can bond the projector too the housing ( method I use most often) or some projectors (mini d2s) use a threaded housing that you can secure into the headlight bucket. (How I did my old set)

Gotcha! I have had good luck the eagle eye brand aftermarket lights. As for the projector there are 3 primary methods. All thread with lock nuts and bolts 4 are used one on each corner of the mounting flange on the projector. Or you can bond the projector too the housing ( method I use most often) or some projectors (mini d2s) use a threaded housing that you can secure into the headlight bucket. (How I did my old set)

Do you have any pics? It sounds good on paper but I am having a hard time visualizing that. Thanks.

I'm looking at doing a projector retrofit next year in a new set of black housings. I do have some oxidation on the covers, but no more than would be expected after five years, and they in no way effect the light output, they just don't look as crystal clear as they did when purchased. Go for it man, you will not regret it.

Back