black magic electric fan?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

black magic electric fan??

my radiator is 18"X18" core

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

commish said:
my radiator is 18"X18" core
180 won't work for you, your core is to small (no offense)
Might look at the 150, it also is a great fan

went and re measured. I can get about 19" wide before i hit the trans cooler tube. that would give me about 1" over the solid cooler.

flex lite said that the 150 doesnt wk as well at hot temp and hard pulling
about 800 cfm more on the 180

what thermostat do u have?

commish said:
what thermostat do u have?
stock 193 degree thermo
Am still thinking the 180 will not work for you, the shroud size is 17.5 X 21.5.
you need at least those demensions of radiator surface area for the 180 to fit.
the 150 is 18X 16 and 4 inch thick.
if your radiator core is 18 X18 you will get perfect coverage with the 150.
My 150 worked fine in my climes, max temp 102, no towing.
Aldive has the 150 in FLA, he claims no problems even with towing.
Your call

175?
All the demensions for the fans are on the website, all ya need is a tape measure to figure what will fit.
Like Al said the 150 will serve you well, in my case the 150 was just to loud, but it cooled just as well (but cycled more than the 180)

Does anyone know if the 180 will fit on a stock radiator for a '92 ohv 4.0? The stock fan has cracks in it and i want to just replace the whole thing with an electric. Thanks.

TheFox88 said:
Does anyone know if the 180 will fit on a stock radiator for a '92 ohv 4.0? The stock fan has cracks in it and i want to just replace the whole thing with an electric. Thanks.

Measure the radiator and compare to the specs for the fans.

TheFox88 said:
Dude
See the above post, in no way mean to be curt, but your going to need to take some measurements, good luck

I have watched this also. I may try the 180 later on my 93/99 Limited(99 chassis).

I have a new Black Magic 150 that I never used, planning to install in an old Ranchero. Make me an offer, and I will confirm that everything is still in the box. Regards.

Blee1099 said:
anyone know the cfm rating of the stock fan. I'm also considerring a electric fan swap. I can get a severe duty Ford Crown Victoria Police interceptor fan for pennies..

Find aldives thread on his fan install. He gives the cfm rating on the stock fan. I can't remember what it is though!! (sorry) I know it's less than the flow on the Flexalite 150 and 180 fans though.

The shroud makes a BIG difference in the effectiveness of these fans.

Did some more research. The 175 is for a mustang but will fit a 18x18 core and give more surface area to pull from. I called Flex a Lite again to confirm with their app.chart. It also has a quick bracket. Have ordered. Will let u know. 175 has 2800cfm versus 3300cfm on the 180.

sweet let me know. hey commish where u at in texas?

South Texas, Gulf Coast, between Houston and Corpus, you'all come back now, u hear?

I just installed the 180 and its a piece of art. no reported problems here. I had to adjust it quite a bit because it actually cools the engine too much. I have it holding a steady 210 now. best peak performance is right around that temp.

awdrocks said:
I just installed the 180 and its a piece of art. no reported problems here. I had to adjust it quite a bit because it actually cools the engine too much. I have it holding a steady 210 now. best peak performance is right around that temp.

Any pictures of your install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure ill take some pics tomorrow and send them to you. can you post them? I have no idea how.

i just saw a two guys garage episode where they took off the clutch fan and added an electric water pump on a lighting and they gained 22hp. maybe the superchared motors have more to gain. I felt quite a difference... much more than 3hp...

pic17newest.jpg

Back