Black Magic Extreme 180 Electric Fan Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Magic Extreme 180 Electric Fan Install

Afboy143 said:
I just installed my black magic fan today and boy was that fun...

its so much louder than the stock fan. From the outside, with the hood shut and standing infront of the truck, you can hear the fan so much. When I am at a stop light, I can hear my fan with the windows down. I kind of like it actually, makes the truck sound mean...

I was wondering if there was a way to have the fan running for say 10 seconds after I shut the truck off? Would a turbo timer be the only way?
If you think the 180 is loud, you should hear the 150, its awful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Afboy143 said:
I just installed my black magic fan today and boy was that fun...

its so much louder than the stock fan. From the outside, with the hood shut and standing infront of the truck, you can hear the fan so much. When I am at a stop light, I can hear my fan with the windows down. I kind of like it actually, makes the truck sound mean...

I was wondering if there was a way to have the fan running for say 10 seconds after I shut the truck off? Would a turbo timer be the only way?
Any performance increase?

Since the fan has a temperature sensor and goes on at a certain temp, you can connect it to a constant power source and it'll go off when the motor is cool enough.

Spindle, I do have the 150, its insane loud. Today I parked my truck at the end of the driveway to go inside real quick and could hear the fan all the way at my front door.

Husky, I connected B to battery, G to ground and + to a fuse in the fuse box that gives signal when the truck is on. When I did this, the fan turned on no matter what (the truck sat overnight and 8 hours the next day, so it was completely cool) so I didnt even bother with the AC connector because its on the whole time.

As for performace....ehhh not really. I do notice more power at higher speeds but thats about it. I honestly did the fan mod for the MPG gain because of gas prices. The engine seems to be cooler...the needle is always lower than half now. Also the loud fan noise sounds pretty cool

My Bad, thought you had the 180, the 180 has an s blade configuration, is far less noisy, they both work about the same
I n reading your post again, you best do the AC connection, is the grey and black wire, or you will overheat bigtime with the AC on

well the thing is, if my fan stays on constantly anyway...whats the point in connecting the AC connection?

Does anyone know why it stays on constantly even if the truck is cool? I dont have the + on a constant power...

Do you have it wired like the following:

Connect the “B” terminal to a high current 12V positive power source (i.e. battery, starter solenoid) using the thick red wire and in line fuse holder provided in the kit.

Connect the “G” terminal to ground (i.e. chassis, negative side of battery) using the thick black wire provided in the kit. (Do not install fuse at this time)

Connect the “+” terminal of the control box to a 12V positive (+) power source (i.e. fuse box), using the thin red wire and fuse taps (if necessary) provided in the kit. Note: Attach this wire to an ignition controlled source to stop the fan when the vehicle is shut off Note: Attach this wire to a non-ignition source to keep the fan running after the vehicle is shut off.

If you have air conditioning: with 3-way connector provided, pass the A/C clutch positive(+) wire (connected to the A/C compressor) through the connector. Place the green wire provided into the closed end of
the connector. Crimp metal plate. Snap plastic cover into place. Attach green wire to the "C" terminal of the control box. Air Conditioning Relay activates fan when A/C is turned on

This is how I wired my 140:

The electrical install is straightforward. First the battery is disconnected. Next, the 12 v positive terminal is connected to a switched 12 v source at the fuse block with an Add A Circuit adaptor ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...Product_ID=1527 ). The B terminal is connected directly to the positive side of the battery with an inline circuit breaker ( included in the kit ) that is attached with Marine-Tex behind the battery to the inner fender wall. The G terminal is the ground. The C terminal is spliced into the AC clutch positive lead. The M terminal is for a Manuel Control Switch; this switch will allow you to override the thermostatic switch when extra cooling is needed or as a backup in the unlikely event of a thermostatic switch malfunction. It is connected to a toggle switch ( mounted to the top part of the console next to the SkiFi XM radio. ). The switch is powered by an ignition switched 12 v supply ( at the fuse block with another Add A Circuit adapter ). The temperature sensor probe from the control unit must be in good contact with the radiator; therefore, it was simply slipped in among the cooling fins. All wiring is neatly secured and enclosed in wire looms.

from: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75371&highlight=electric+fan

Aldive,

B is connected to the battery with the inline circuit breaker

G is connected to a ground on the chasis

+ is connected in the fuse box to an ignition controlled switch

I didnt even bother with the AC connections because the fan is ALWAYS on. No matter if the ac is on or not...

My problem: fan ALWAYS comes on. No matter if my truck has been sitting for large amounts of time to cool off or if the truck was just ran...its always on. The bulb is on the radiator...

Do you have a manual switch installed?

Did you purchase the fan new? If so, contact Flex-A-Lite; sounds like a faulty controller.

Good luck .........

Can I run into problems with the fan always on?

Afboy143 said:
Can I run into problems with the fan always on?
Might take longer to warm up come winter, you really do have a malfunction in the system, is not suppossed to work that way.
Which fuse are you using for power? can you turn thefan off by rotating the knob on the control box

Spindle Cone, Your a genius

I had the knob turned all the way counter clockwise because I wanted the thermostat to be at 180. Apprently when I turned it clockwise, there was a click sound and after it clicked, the fan shut off. Im guessing if the knob is all the way counter clock wise...the fan stays on all the time? I left the knob right above the click...hopefully this is 180 (The instructions dont tell you anything!!)

I am letting the truck warm up and seeing if the fan will turn on when the truck gets hot. Wish me luck...Looks like I need to hook up AC now!

Well that was the problem, the fan kicked on right under half way on the temp guage.

Im going to wire the AC and manual switch in later

Last question, If I hook the + side into a power source thats not ignition controlled....will the fan stay on til the engine cools down to 180 again after the truck is off? My fear of this is my truck staying on so long to cool the engine that my battery drains. Its pretty hot here (florida)

Yes, it will run till it cools to the turn off temperature.

Hook up an OBD2 scanner and watch the coolant temperature and then adjust the thermostat.

Good luck .........

Als correct
The proper way do adjust it is have it come on at about 198, it will shut down at about 193

Is there a big advantage in having the fan cool the engine to 193 then shut off? I would imagine this might prolong the life of the engine but is that it?

Al, in this florida heat....how long does your fan run til it shuts off? How exactly did you adjust your thermo? On mine...There is jsut a knob....no numbers, no nothing

Afboy143 said:
Al, in this florida heat....how long does your fan run til it shuts off? How exactly did you adjust your thermo? On mine...There is jsut a knob....no numbers, no nothing

I have the 180 fan but its wired as was my 159 before it, to turn off when the key is off.

I have mine turn on at 190 F; I use an OBD II scanner to monitor coolant temperature and when t hits 190 F, I have the fan turn on.

To properly adjust the thermostat, you need an accurate means of measuring the coolant temperature.

Works like a champ ......

190 might be a little on the low side with the OEM t stat, is just barely starting to open.
is fully open at 210

My Mountaineer runs around 185 with a 180 thermostat, according to the Scangauge. Assuming that it is accurate, the 192 or 195 that I bought for my 99 will run where I want it. The best temperatures for power are in the 195 degree area. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where exactly did u guys tap into the AC?

Back