Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Black panel between front and rear window

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by section8joe, June 29, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. section8joe

section8joe New Member

City, State:
    youngstown ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 xls
    The panel im talking about is the black panel between the windows. Mine is all faded and seems to be starting to pit. can someone identify this part and let me know how much it would cost to replace them. I believe there are six panels. one on each of the front doors, one on each of the rear doors and two on the back on the sides of the rear window(not attached to the window).
    thanks
    Joe

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Douglas70

Douglas70 New Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    '02 XLT
    I am also having this same issue. There is a more recent thread for your question. Appears these panels are $50 a piece. Most of the responses are stating they are having the panels repainted. I have not gotten a quote yet myself on refinishing them.

4. grumpy

grumpy Active Member

City, State:
    Palmyra Tn
    2002 XLT
    Go to ford-parts.com or fordparts.com and look up body parts. Then click on front door/ exterior trim/upper moulding and there will be a choice of moulding for vehicles with or without keypad. Runs a little over $50.00

I couldn't figure out how to locate the trim on the liftgate pillars in their parts lookup.

I wonder if the Krylon paint that's specially made for plastics would work well on those panels.

5. bradmatejo

bradmatejo Member

City, State:
    Austin, TX
    1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC
    My brother-in-law works for a Ford service dept. I asked him about having his shop paint mine, and he said it'd be much cheaper to do it yourself. He said it should only cost like $20 to do it yourself. If you can take them off to paint, that'd be best. Otherwise you'd have to tape up your car and can't drive while the paint dries.
    I wonder why Ford can't get quality parts for these pieces? My 97's panels were faded from black to pink, now my 03's are starting to fade. What gives?!

6. Douglas70

Douglas70 New Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    '02 XLT
    Just got a quote for these panels. Mine were glossy painted plastic pieces. To replace with new at the bodyshop, just over $500

7. prerunner02

prerunner02 Active Member

City, State:
    Sacramento, CA
    '02 XLT 4X4 V8
    They are painted and in that case they need wax. Everyone tends to wax all the paint on their Ex except these peices, they are not meant to be cleaned with wax.