Black panel between front and rear window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black panel between front and rear window

section8joe

Reaction score
City, State
youngstown ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
The panel im talking about is the black panel between the windows. Mine is all faded and seems to be starting to pit. can someone identify this part and let me know how much it would cost to replace them. I believe there are six panels. one on each of the front doors, one on each of the rear doors and two on the back on the sides of the rear window(not attached to the window).
thanks
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also having this same issue. There is a more recent thread for your question. Appears these panels are $50 a piece. Most of the responses are stating they are having the panels repainted. I have not gotten a quote yet myself on refinishing them.

Go to ford-parts.com or fordparts.com and look up body parts. Then click on front door/ exterior trim/upper moulding and there will be a choice of moulding for vehicles with or without keypad. Runs a little over $50.00

I couldn't figure out how to locate the trim on the liftgate pillars in their parts lookup.

I wonder if the Krylon paint that's specially made for plastics would work well on those panels.

My brother-in-law works for a Ford service dept. I asked him about having his shop paint mine, and he said it'd be much cheaper to do it yourself. He said it should only cost like $20 to do it yourself. If you can take them off to paint, that'd be best. Otherwise you'd have to tape up your car and can't drive while the paint dries.
I wonder why Ford can't get quality parts for these pieces? My 97's panels were faded from black to pink, now my 03's are starting to fade. What gives?!

Just got a quote for these panels. Mine were glossy painted plastic pieces. To replace with new at the bodyshop, just over $500

They are painted and in that case they need wax. Everyone tends to wax all the paint on their Ex except these peices, they are not meant to be cleaned with wax.

Back