Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft

As someone who just bought a 2011 where MFT/SYNC works fine, this is very concerning for future support as I paid cash and would like to hold on to the car for some time.

If Ford drops or diminishes updates/support for the current platform, I can really see it harming resale values for what - millions of cars? That would not be a smart move by Ford.

Over at the Ford Edge forum Waldo states "There will be a version to update older models". Waldo is more of an insider, but who knows?

I see this going two ways.

QNX is only used for new cars with new hardware and we will probably be an after-thought by Ford.

If it is backwards compatible that will be great, but you can only go as far as the hardware will take you and I don't think the QNX Snapdragon coding will be compatible with MS. Whether Ford stayed with MS or went with Blackberry as they did, our hardware will eventually be outdated. I just want the support to keep it running along with whatever software upgrades the hardware will accept.

I don't expect QNX to be up and running until 2016, so it will be interesting to see what support/software upgrades we get between now and then.

If it looks like Ford will go dark on MFT/SYNC you might consider selling your car quick before it massively depreciates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.6.2 has worked great for me. A vast improvement from the first. I have no complaints.

If it looks like Ford will go dark on MFT/SYNC you might consider selling your car quick before it massively depreciates.

Drama much? You do realize there is a perfectly good vehicle underneath the MFT right?

Drama much? You do realize there is a perfectly good vehicle underneath the MFT right?

Yes, but my concern is how much the MFT/SYNC runs. It's not as if it is a stand-alone for CD/USB/SD/Bluetooth/Nav like most sound systems.

MFT/SYNC gets into core functions like climate control. I can see people saying down the road they can replace a head unit for music. Not so sure how pleased they would feel about not having heat or AC controls when their head unit goes - and especially if support is cut back.

Another poster hit on this. There is no redundancy built in and I can see it being an issue with used car values and for those who want to hold on to the car for 10 years.

The more I read some of the posts and different threads in the Forums, the better I feel about always leasing my vehicles. I just look at them as extended test drives.;)

Peter

Blackberry systems for the next generation Ford vehicles?

As the title said... I wouldn't buy a Ford with blackberry QNX system. I would have been happy if they choose Android base system for the myford touch.

What do you guys think?

Article:
Ford has dumped Microsoft as its in car technology partner after signing and a new partnership deal with BlackBerry according to reports.

Link:
http://www.t3.com/news/blackberry-wins-ford-in-car-technology-deal

Ford did the right thing by going with qnx it has been used by many higher end car manufactures and no issues like with microsoft but android is not the way to go. I rather have ios than android...!

I'm the opposite, I am thinking about trading in my Chevy for a Ford Explorer this summer but having Microsoft software running the vehicle worried me. Getting rid of it and going with QNX is long overdue. I've always wondered why no other auto maker used Microsoft while Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Land Rover and Porsche just to name a few use QNX. Even GM's OnStar is QNX based.

Here's the new 2015 Audi TT gauge cluster running QNX and runs pretty smooth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlm6lD23d0g

Ford did the right thing by going with qnx it has been used by many higher end car manufactures and no issues like with microsoft but android is not the way to go. I rather have ios than android...!

QNX I think is old system with some refresh programs. Not like the new technologies now which all are touch command or with deep system integration to the car itself.

I like iOS and it's interface and all but if Ford will go with iOS, we will all be stuck with Apples' ideology of how should things work as they ONLY see it. Android would be a more versatile system... in my opinion.

Look at this article... GM, Honda and even Audi is going with Android systems.

Link:
http://www.businessweek.com/article...th-gm-honda-and-audi-to-bring-android-to-cars

First off, I don't think an infotainment system should have deep integration to other vehicle functions. It should be separate so if it fails the rest of the vehicle works.

Second, I don't think these infotainment systems should focus on any one cell phone OS, or try and do too much with apps.

The reason being cell phone technology changes so fast and car manufacturers will never be able to keep up with iOS and Android changes. Or, if you have a car make with a Android OS where Google is on top of keeping it up to date, you know Apple iOS users will have problems with it, and vice versa.

Car makers should just stick to making sure their OS is able to do the basics well - Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and text to talk.

As we see, there are a lot of complaints with iOS not syncing well with MFT. Other car makers have syncing problems too. Auto makers should just stick to the basics and get all cell phones to do basic functions with their infotainment systems so customers are happy with that regardless of cell phone make and model, and keep these infotainment systems separate from core vehicle functions like climate control.

The original Ford SYNC before MFT worked great. Why? It did not try and do too much and was not integrated with other vehicle functions.

As the title said... I wouldn't buy a Ford with blackberry QNX system. I would have been happy if they choose Android base system for the myford touch.

What do you guys think?

Article:
Ford has dumped Microsoft as its in car technology partner after signing and a new partnership deal with BlackBerry according to reports.

Link:
http://www.t3.com/news/blackberry-wins-ford-in-car-technology-deal
As per my PM, your thread has also been merged with this existing thread.

Peter

MicroSoft will still be around to support the Mobile CE system in MFT until the normal end of life required. 10 or more years. It is HIGHLY unlikely that there will be any chance to retrofit existing systems to a new operating system. So, those units currently Microsoft will continue to be. On the other hand, Microsoft is still very involved in the car market and will likely to continue developing their systems. The key is, how much of the content is Ford and what is MS.

MicroSoft will still be around to support the Mobile CE system in MFT until the normal end of life required. 10 or more years. It is HIGHLY unlikely that there will be any chance to retrofit existing systems to a new operating system. So, those units currently Microsoft will continue to be. On the other hand, Microsoft is still very involved in the car market and will likely to continue developing their systems. The key is, how much of the content is Ford and what is MS.
Welcome to the Forum TNRC51.:wavey:
I agree with your post. I can understand that owners with the current system would be concerned about future support but I think most of it isn't really necessary. I think it will likely also take a couple of years to implement the new system. Enjoying the wait for your new Sport?;)

Peter

Enjoying the wait for your new Sport?;)

Peter

Yeah, I'm trying to get an update now. Hopefully, they are working through the orders and getting them out. I'm not in a panic as my current vehicle doesn't go back until the end of March.

Yeah, I'm trying to get an update now. Hopefully, they are working through the orders and getting them out. I'm not in a panic as my current vehicle doesn't go back until the end of March.
My lease is up next March and I'm waiting to see what the 2015 will offer. If your dealer is unable to give you an update, you can always send a private message to Crystal (FordService) one of the Ford reps on this Forum.
You can use this link to send her your VIN etc.; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

Peter

3.6.2 has been good to us.

Definitely a big step in the right direction compared to the old 2.11 version.

I wonder if this is really just a play to lower costs???

Seems as if they leave 7 million existing users in the cold, that isn't improving their image either....

Of course if the QNX version doesn't come out to consumers until 2016ish, that means there has to be at least 1 or 2 upgrades before then.... Here's to hoping things get even better for the existing MFT!!!!!

Bettina & Brian

If MFT was one of the single biggest contributors to Ford dropping even lower in the CR ratings I don't see them making the corporate decision to abandon current and 2015/16 owners. Why drive the brand lower, why not try and recover with an even better product. Reality is the older vehicles might not have the same features but I can see IVT trying to recover the bad reputation of MFT since it was so devastating to the entire brand.

2015 Mustang will be in production shortly and it will have new technology features we cant have with our current models unless theres retrofit hardware.

I'm interested to see how they integrate MFT with this new "always connected" 4G system thats optional.

I would like future technology to allow for hardware upgrades as the customer sees fit and is willing to pay: processors, hard drives, screens and so on.

I kinda agree, but as far as automotive hardware goes, the current MFT specs are pretty up there. Processor is as fast as any other car (aside from upcoming snapdragon based systems), and screens haven't gone to high def for in-car entertainment yet (don't know why). w/ USB expansion you can add as much HD space as you wish.

The only current issue I have w/ MFT is it's Flash based UI is clunky, buggy, etc. This again is nothing to do with Microsoft, Ford hired an outside company to write the UI, and stuck with Flash when they did the "Performance Upgrade" even though they had more than enough time to port it over to native code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back