Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft

You've got it wrong once again Plum. Ford is not abandoning current owners. This has been posted several times. Ford will continue to supply support for those owners on the current system. This progression of the MFT/SYNC system is going to continue just as it is with most software based system in the market today. Your experience with your Explorer has apparently clouded over your ability to understand that the majority of owners are quite happy with their vehicles, and that vehicles, regardless of brand, are bound to have problems from time to time.

Peter

Plum might have it wrong, but so do you.
Ford promised App-Link in MFT. So yes, they are abandoning us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This doesn't apply to MFT based vehicles. It's been discussed on here before.

Read the last paragraph of this link.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-adding-app-integration-to-3-4-million-cars/

It seems like there are some articles saying it will be available in an update for the current MFT. It obviously just takes a lot longer since the MFT is much more software involved.

I can't see how Ford would leave out the customers who purchased nicer vehicles or upgraded trim packages.

Here is another article that makes it seem like Applink will be available to MFT in an update.

I can't find anything directly from Ford that states what they plan on doing though.

http://motorreview.com/myford-touch-applink-support-in-the-works/

Actually, I don't even think we want Applink. That just allows certain apps to stream over from your phone.

What we want is the ability to stream the entire interface of Android Auto or Car Play. Not just a few apps here and there.

For those of us who know Android, we might not need an update from Ford. Someone might write a work around for MFT allowing us to steam it to the in car display. Basically, the display acts as nothing more than just a display for Android Auto.

It seems like there are some articles saying it will be available in an update for the current MFT. It obviously just takes a lot longer since the MFT is much more software involved.

I can't see how Ford would leave out the customers who purchased nicer vehicles or upgraded trim packages.

Here is another article that makes it seem like Applink will be available to MFT in an update.

I can't find anything directly from Ford that states what they plan on doing though.

http://motorreview.com/myford-touch-applink-support-in-the-works/

Right, but the most recent of those articles is from January of last year.
Hence my point that it was promised but not delivered.
And yes, one of the "promises" was directly from Ford not just a news site.

Right, but the most recent of those articles is from January of last year.
Hence my point that it was promised but not delivered.
And yes, one of the "promises" was directly from Ford not just a news site.

We actually don't want App Link. All that does is allow certain apps to stream from your phone and Ford has to approve the apps.

What we want is the ability to stream an ENTIRE operating system over our display such as Android Auto or Car Play.

Those who know Android, knows that it will be possible sooner or later with or without Fords approval. Car Play on the other hand will most likely be locked down just as tightly as any other Apple product.

Being able to stream Android Auto only requires using the MFT display. The phone does the rest of the work in terms of software.

We actually don't want App Link. All that does is allow certain apps to stream from your phone and Ford has to approve the apps.

What we want is the ability to stream an ENTIRE operating system over our display such as Android Auto or Car Play.

Those who know Android, knows that it will be possible sooner or later with or without Fords approval. Car Play on the other hand will most likely be locked down just as tightly as any other Apple product.

Being able to stream Android Auto only requires using the MFT display. The phone does the rest of the work in terms of software.

Android Auto would be great, but AppLink would work for me.

Android Auto would be great, but AppLink would work for me.

Yea, that's what I want. The only problem I could see running into without a Ford approved upgrade or patch is some of the climate controls that are controlled through the touch screen. Also, I don't know if the two work hand in hand with each other but if Android Auto is running on the main screen, you may or may not have the two information on the two side screens next to the speedometer. The screen on the left should still be operable but the screen on the right is just relaying information from the main unit I believe.

So is it just me or does anyone else find the GIU too simple, almost to the point of being condescending.

MFT is great when it works.....and if it delivered all the functionality that it was promised with.

Is this SYNC3 system designed for people where english is a second language? or the 60 yr old ex dope smoking hippie with alzheimer's that works at Consumer Report Magazine?

I want a cutting edge (possibly bleeding edge) ADVANCED GIU with functionality & hardware backend that keeps this system ahead of the competition not catching up.

Seriously who consulted on the GIU colour choice?......Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder?

Then top that off with no backwards compatibility for people who have the current MFT is the ultimate slap in the face. "Thanks for working through all the MFT issues over the past few years with us. We appreciate your support but if you want a system that's going to deliver what we promised back in 2011 then your going to have to buy a new car sorry."

Come on man!

Find me another company that makes you pay more for the higher end system that has LESS features than it's entry level system. You can't. SYNC 3 is what MFT should have been. Now us current owners get the shaft. Ford and this type of tech just don't jive. Even this new system looks outdated and dumbed down. I'm pissed as a 2013 Explorer owner. Ford blows.

Ford could easily allow us to upgrade to the new Sync 3. Of course it would cost some money but they could easily do it. All they have to do is replace the MFT hardware with the Sync 3 hardware. It would probably cost upwards of $1000 but at least the option is available to those who purchased a new car from them within the past couple years.

Ford could easily allow us to upgrade to the new Sync 3. Of course it would cost some money but they could easily do it. All they have to do is replace the MFT hardware with the Sync 3 hardware. It would probably cost upwards of $1000 but at least the option is available to those who purchased a new car from them within the past couple years.

It just pisses me off that you can not replace the hardware. Not even with aftermarket. Honestly, I'd be ok if I could rip it out when it gets even more obsolete and put an updated system in.

Don't think that not being able to rip it out and replace it is not by design.

It just pisses me off that you can not replace the hardware. Not even with aftermarket. Honestly, I'd be ok if I could rip it out when it gets even more obsolete and put an updated system in.

Don't think that not being able to rip it out and replace it is not by design.

Oh, so Ford can't rip out the old unit and put in another? I always thought they could just remove te dash and install the new unit.

They could probably make more money by allowing people to upgrade for a price. I mean how many people do they actually think are going to buy a new car for a new Sync system?

Oh, so Ford can't rip out the old unit and put in another? I always thought they could just remove te dash and install the new unit.
It's not just the APIM and display unit. It's likely the cluster will be different, as well as the hard control buttons for HVAC, etc. Also, the interfaces into other sub systems are likely to change.

This is a bigger engineering change than a simple swap would support. Sorry folks, we're stuck with existing equipment.

It's not just the APIM and display unit. It's likely the cluster will be different, as well as the hard control buttons for HVAC, etc. Also, the interfaces into other sub systems are likely to change.

This is a bigger engineering change than a simple swap would support. Sorry folks, we're stuck with existing equipment.

Yea, you're probably right. Now all we can hope for is the ability to use the MFT display as a front for Android Auto.

If not, I was planning on keeping my Explorer after the lease is up but now it looks like I will be trading it back in.

I really dont think the IVT management has thought through how big of a deal this is.

Thousands of customers, me included, still feel somewhat cheated as the Infotainment system that was marketed and promised back in 2011 was never delivered.

Then to top that off customers had to work through several updates over the years as beta testers to get the MFT system to where it is today, stable with reduced functionality.

The amount of "Take it to the dealer" time customers were subject too was unacceptable, people nowadays just don't have that kinda time.

I bleed blue like the next Ford Nation supporter but no backwards compatibility is a serious "F&%$ You" from Ford, and for many its going to be enough to buy elsewhere next time.

At the very least if we are limited by hardware and programming from moving to SYNC3 IVT should look at a MFT upgrade that will appease us with some of what was promised back in 2011.

Anyone driving a 15 Tahoe LTZ with their new multi media system?

I really dont think the IVT management has thought through how big of a deal this is.

Thousands of customers, me included, still feel somewhat cheated as the Infotainment system that was marketed and promised back in 2011 was never delivered.

Then to top that off customers had to work through several updates over the years as beta testers to get the MFT system to where it is today, stable with reduced functionality.

The amount of "Take it to the dealer" time customers were subject too was unacceptable, people nowadays just don't have that kinda time.

I bleed blue like the next Ford Nation supporter but no backwards compatibility is a serious "F&%$ You" from Ford, and for many its going to be enough to buy elsewhere next time.

At the very least if we are limited by hardware and programming from moving to SYNC3 IVT should look at a MFT upgrade that will appease us with some of what was promised back in 2011.

Exactly, I'm in the same boat. Love me some Ford, but this rubs me raw.

I'm in the boat of looking elsewhere for my next vehicle, this was the last straw. Even if Ford designed some sort of mounting kit w/ external HVAC controls so that we could change out the existing system with an aftermarket one, I'd spend money on that, but they have left us w/ an obsolete, bug ridden mess that we have no where to go unless we want to buy a new vehicle from them. All I see is someone at Ford holding up the middle finger at me.

They could probably make more money by allowing people to upgrade for a price. I mean how many people do they actually think are going to buy a new car for a new Sync system?

What I meant us I can't rip it out and replace it. I'm sure Ford can, but I wouldn't get another overpriced Ford unit that they'll support for 3 years or so.

No aftermarket company (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) is going to make something that is a working Nav/infotainment system that will work with climate control and seat heaters and everything else that is controlled by the unit now... So your stuck with what you have.

At least when you had a regular old single or double DIN radio, when it didn't get the job done, you could rip it out and replace.

As much as my old Pioneer Avic unit in my truck is getting dated, if I wanted to, I could swap in a new Double DIN unit in a few hours and be back up to date for about $1000 for the top of the line unit.

Just give us back double DIN holes in the dash that doesn't have a system that is so intertwined with the rest if the car that it can't be replaced. Even in base model vehicles you can't do this anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I meant us I can't rip it out and replace it. I'm sure Ford can, but I wouldn't get another overpriced Ford unit that they'll support for 3 years or so.

No aftermarket company (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) is going to make something that is a working Nav/infotainment system that will work with climate control and seat heaters and everything else that is controlled by the unit now... So your stuck with what you have.

At least when you had a regular old single or double DIN radio, when it didn't get the job done, you could rip it out and replace.

As much as my old Pioneer Avic unit in my truck is getting dated, if I wanted to, I could swap in a new Double DIN unit in a few hours and be back up to date for about $1000 for the top of the line unit.

Just give us back double DIN holes in the dash that doesn't have a system that is so intertwined with the rest if the car that it can't be replaced. Even in base model vehicles you can't do this anymore.

On top of the seat heaters and rear HVAC controls, you also have the instrument cluster to contend with. 3rd party infotainment systems aren't likely to display the correct information on the 4" screens next to the speedometer.

Back