• Register Today It's free!

blam boom POW! t-case stuck?

Palmer7

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton/Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER YEAH!!!
So I just got my car back on the road and I'm noticing around very tight (like 90°) turns in parking lots that my front end is lunging, popping and binding like I was in 4x4. My t case had always sort of given me problems but I never really noticed it till I put it in 4hi the other day then took it off and my light stayed on.. I thought it might just be a bug so I shrugged it off and it ended up turning off a couple hours later but this noise is making me think that it might be engaging itself on tight turns or be stuck on. Anyone have any ideas? I looked the problem up but people only seem to have this problem in second gens. Btw I have a manual with a manual t-case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto hubs or manual?

You have a manual case? The difference between 2Hi and 4Hi is very slight, at least on mine. Like 1/2", or 1" tops.
Maybe you have some obstruction keeping the lever from moving far enough forward, or something in the way of the linkage?

Hah! I see that I commented in your linked thread (from 2012!), that I needed to check mine, but obviously I never did! :eek:
Maybe someday soon. ;)
Great write-up, BTW.

It's possible to remove the hub and drive for a short distance without it to test your theory. Keep in mind though that it leaves the bearing grease open to air and dirt and it may sling, so only a short test run. Also if you have closed-end wheel lugs make sure they're long enough with the hub removed.

Back