Block Heater/Block Drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Block Heater/Block Drain

CarlPalmer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer
I am going to flush the radiator on my 4.0 6 cyl SOHC 1997 Explorer. I figured that I may as well install a block heater while I am in there.

I know that I need to drain the block with the drain plugs before I pull the frost plug. I can not find them. I hve looked all over the internet to no avail. Anyone know where they might be? I assume there are 2. is that correct?

Ok, once I drain the old crap out of the block and install my Block heater,how do I get new yummy fresh coolant into the block? Will it just fill up when I add new coolant after draining and refilling the entire system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drain it all out through the lower rad hose and the rad drain, , once you pop the frost plug to put the block heater in, the block will definitely be empty,

than you refill it through the rad cap,, like any other vehicle,,

just make sure you burp the system to make sure it is full,

How do you burp it? i have read that you need to run it till it hits operating temp and then top off fluid again. i am assuming that is not what you mean.

nope, not exactly the same,,
drive the front end up on something to get the nose higher than the back , and than check the coolant after running it at temp for a few minutes so that any air in the system will get to the rad,,
once that bubble comes out refill the system,
i usually wait till the upper hose gets hot all the way along,, it's usually dumps the air about that time,,

Awesome! Great info. That should make this a snap. I really appreciate it.

nope, not exactly the same,,
drive the front end up on something to get the nose higher than the back , and than check the coolant after running it at temp for a few minutes so that any air in the system will get to the rad,,
once that bubble comes out refill the system,
i usually wait till the upper hose gets hot all the way along,, it's usually dumps the air about that time,,

PS Don't forget to turn the inside air temp to hot so that coolant fills the heater hoses and core.

Back