Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Bloody Thieves

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Flounder, February 26, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Flounder

Flounder Owns 10,000 Marbles Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    Received a call that a credit card I hold, but do not use often at all, had two charges tonight. One from Apple MobileMe and one from Plimus.

With respect to Plimus, someone used my card to purchase "Captcha King - Imperial Plan - 3,000 Captcha Entries (Monthly)". I called Plimus and had the charge reversed. I also acquired the information the person used to purchase the thing, which is my old address, a false MobileMe e-mail address, and a cell phone number tagged to Rochester, NY (probably a pay as you go phone).

I then called VISA to cancel my card (the bank that issued it, a local bank, is closed). They did this.

I finally called Apple to ask that they cancel the MobileMe account before any further harm is done. First, the guy suggested that the MobileMe charge was legitimate and that I was forgetting I ordered something. I nearly ripped his head off. Then, I was told they cannot cancel the account, but instead my bank must request such when they process the fraudulent use tomorrow. Again, I was going to rip off his head. I have an Apple MacBook Pro, two iPods, AppleCare support, etc., and they're treating me like I am the thief. Nevertheless, it appears their policy is to have the bank contact them to cancel the account. So, I have to wait until tomorrow.

I have since placed a fraud alert on my credit reports as an added precaution.

Any other recommendations?

I am very tempted to call the phone number I acquired, after blocking my number, just to say something to the effect of, "Congratulations, ------. We're coming to get you."

Last edited: February 26, 2009
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Oooh... I have some suggestions... (can you pm me the phone number?) Plimus? Huh... Is the bank closed down, or closed for the night (there little they will do anyway, Visa will do all the work).

5. Flounder

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    Donner,

Plimus is the software company (or software merchant) from which the thief purchased whatever that product is above. I talked to them tonight, and they reversed the charge as well as gave me the billing information and phone number the thief used. Unfortunately, all information was "faked" to me. However, I do know they should have his or her IP address. They were actually quite friendly. I appreciated their assistance.

The issuing bank is closed for the night. VISA shut down the account, but I want to make sure my bank issues me a new number and does not fry the account. It is my oldest account for credit report purposes, and it peeves me that my FICO will take a hit if I lose it.

6. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Thank you... Yes, I'm aware, but I'm curious about the phone number...

7. boggs1227

boggs1227 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
    2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
    don't feel bad ...this thing happened to me 2 years ago on my visa / bank of america card . been doing a lot of purchase's at home depot that month and when i got my statement i saw a $ 1.98 amount in the side caption of "donation" .i know i did not owe that amount to after getting in contact with the bank they told me that it was made to a youth center in alberta Canada...they reversed the charge ! found out that some how they got my card number and made a small purchase to see if the account was valid ,the bank said that shortly after something like this happens thats when they really start to make bigger buys ...they figure that a small charge won't set off any bells when you look at your statement .

Last edited: February 27, 2009
  8. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Unfortunately, Apple has to handle it this way (but they are looking in to it also). I would recommend you place a Freeze on your credit profile... this will prevent any accounts from being opened - period. Alert your other creditors that this has happened... they will alert you if any charges are made. And place passwords on all your credit accounts when you contact the creditors by phone - if you don't use passwords, request that they do.

9. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    Call your local police department and ask to file a report, it should be pretty routine; they'll advise you on what you need to do. As soon as the thieves notice the jig is up the card info will be sold to a different set of thieves exploiting a different set of weaknesses. Long story short, you may not know for a couple of years who else has your number and how they're using it. Then you'll get a call from a lawyer offering to settle.

It's good to have a police report.

Good luck

10. Brock94

Brock94 Active Member

City, State:
    Milford, CT
    1994 XLT
    I had this about 6 months ago-- I tried to buy something on RockAuto and my card was refused. I called the bank and (ironically), my attempted Internet purchase had been the final trigger for their fraud system and there were several thousand dollars of charges in the previous two days. They just removed the charges, initiated their standard "investigation" and sent me a new card with a new number. No big deal.

I guess other banks/CC companies may have poorer customer service, but the bottom line is that under federal law (the Truth in Lending Act and Regulation Z) they are not allowed to charge you the money unless they can prove that you authorized the charges-- that's why they do an investigation, but the bottom line is they won't be able to prove you authorized it because you didn't.

11. Flounder

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    Changed the title now that I have calmed down. :)

I spoke with my bank. I have to sign a form that states the charges are unauthorized. They'll remove any on the account. They're also sending me a new card with a new number. Finally, they will contact Apple to shut down the account.

I did not call the local PD. I will tomorrow, however, just to take care of all bases.

It looks like me shutting down the card last night stopped them, or alternatively, they hit, run, and stopped.

Donner--thanks for the information. I will pass it along to the PD.

12. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    No prob... I just wonder where they got your info. Department stores are good for not sharing security breeches... they'll send you a letter months later. (Don't forget to do the credit freeze - no new accounts to opened)

13. Flounder

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    I placed the fraud alert on my reports.

As for the breach, about a month ago there was an immense breach of a company which provides payment processing for small and medium-sized restaurants. I'm feeling that is the cause.