F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy.

I once found (a few months ago) that mice made a nest and a mess of the air conditioner insulation inside the place where the blower motor fan blades were. I found out because it was making a similar loud, vibrating sound, but still functioned properly at all speeds of the switch. Insulation was stuck on the fan blades. I cleaned it out, put it back together, and it worked fine.

Recently...

I found earlier this week that my heater/climate control blower motor of the '93 Limited was acting strange. It would only run when the switch was set to full blast. The other settings (including off) did nothing. Any position of the slider or whether the button was pushed in or out (air con) made no difference. When it was able to run full blast, it made a loud vibrating noise. I decided to keep it off.

So the other day I removed the motor, and found another mess of mouse nest/insulation, including a dead one (the nastiest sight i ever did see). A lot of the plastic fan blades were broken off. I figured that the dead mouse and insulation clogged up the motor enough to only allow it to spin when full power was applied. I ordered a new fan blade thing (like a rat cage, ironically) from Advance Auto Parts. It had to be ordered, but came in the next day. Meanwhile...

The blower motor put back together would again, only function if turned on full blast and still made a lot of noise (but less than it did before). I then figured that the broken fan blades created enough imbalance and that the motor was screwed up from the mice.

Next day...

I pick up the fan blades from Advance Auto Parts. I also add a new motor which was in stock (it didn't come with the fan/blades). Go home and worked on it this evening. I plugged in the new motor with blades, and with the ignition on I tried spinning it up, and still, it would only spin if on full blast. I put it in anyway because I've been driving in a Michigan winter with no heat for days :thumbdwn: . The new motor functions as it should and smoothly when on full blast.

At this point, I can figure that there must be a problem in either the wiring or the switch. If there's a relay involved, then that's possible too I suppose. Has anyone else had this problem, and what should I try first? I looked over the wiring in the area of the motor and it looks fine. I pulled and jiggled what i could reach and no change.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, I hate mice :mad: There's a plate of anti-freeze in the pole barn for them.

There is a resistor on the fan motor. When it goes, the fan only runs on Hi. Search and you will find more posts about it.

Yep that's right. It next to the blower motor on the heater box.

The others are 100% correct... The blower motor resistor steps the power down to slow the fan speed. The reason it works on high is because the resistors are skipped if you select High (sends full power to the fan). The part is under $15 at autostores.

Back