Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Blower not blowing

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Ultimo, September 19, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Explorer XLT
    I'm stumped. The blower stopped, started and then permanently stopped.
    • The 40A fuse in the under the hood fuse box appears good.
    • The 7.5A fuse in the driver's side door jamb appears good.
    • I jumped the blower direct from the battery and it purrs like a kitten
    • I replaced the resistor
    • I jumped the switch in the center dash, no joy.
    I could replace the switch, but it doesn't make sense that a direct jump doesn't turn the blower on. What have I missed?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    Unplug the resistor and see if you have voltage on each of the terminals in the plug as you change the switch position. If you do, then the fuses, relay, switch and wiring is all OK. If not, check the blower motor relays - there are two - one for high speed only and one the activates all the speeds. I'd quess the all speeds one is the problem. Good luck.

4. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
    Thanks Bob. I'll check it out and report...

5. dr fildo

dr fildo Member

1999 Mercury Mounaineer
    Try hitting it lightly with a hammer. Mine is doing something similar. It seems to work when it wants to. Once I tap mine with the hammer, it starts working again for a few days. Common problem with the blower motor, apparently. The replacement can be purchased from Advanced Auto for less than $40. It's easy to reach and replace at the top of the passenger side firewall. Just have to move a couple things out of the way first. Quick repair.

6. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
    Thanks Dr. Fildo. The blower works when I put current to it. It's currently not getting current. I think Bob Flood has the right idea. I just haven't had time to try it yet. I'm fortunate that I don't need the Explorer to get to work.

7. Steve Hale

Steve Hale New Member

City, State:
    Stockton
    94 sport 5speed manual
    Callsign:
    Steve 0
    BoB nailed it head on. I had same problem. Took me a lil hunting to narrow it down but it was that muti speed relay

8. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
    Hi Bob,

I had a chance to work on the Explorer. No voltage in the plug. Since all of the online info that I saw mentioned only three possible problems, the switch, the resistor or the motor, I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you mentioned "relays." I eventually determined that there were two blower motor relays in the under the hood fuse box.

One appears to be a 40A fuse which looks good and one is a 3/4"cube. I replaced the 3/4"cube and no joy. Are those the relays you were referring to or are there others?

9. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    There are two relays - the 40 amp fuse is a fuse, not a relay. Unfortunately, the schematic I have does not give a location for the relays. Do you have an owners manual - that should have a diagram of the various fuse and relay locations. If changing out the first relay didn't change anything, you need to locate and change the second relay.

"Steve Hale' - can you help with a location for the multi-speed relay for Ultimo??

Good luck.

10. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
    [​IMG] Hi Bob, Searching Google led me to a photo of "relay box #2" http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-to-troubleshoot-1997-v8-blower-motor.299494/ OneLever was adamant that his was different than mine but his post helped me locate the box.

I replaced the small relay on the lower left. No fan. The only one left is the large one in the middle. OneLever has that one lable high Speed Blower but none of the speeds work. Still stumped...

11. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
  12. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
  13. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
  14. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    According to the schematic, the "blower motor relay" that provides power for all the speeds has four pins, the "high speed" relay has five pins. One of the four pins for the first relay should have power all the time. The other will have power on one pin only in Run..

BTW, the blower will not run if the mode selector switch is in the "Off" position. All speeds get their ground to complete the electrical path thru that switch. That is another thing to look at - make sure that the red/orange wire coming out of the heater control dash module grounds when that switch is moved from the off position.

15. Ultimo

Ultimo New Member

City, State:
    Calabasas
    1998 Explorer XLT
    Hello all,

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I really got into the weeds (in other words, it wasn't the typical and popular issues) and ultimately, I wasn't able to solve it. In addition, the original vibration/grind, wasn't solved by the new front wheel bearings I installed (even after about 3 removals and installations) and ultimately, the Explorer wouldn't start. (I think it was a fuel pump issue)

Well, everyone knows, three strikes and you're out. We donated the Explorer to Kars4Kids. The tow truck driver said it would go to auction. Hopefully, it will find a good home with someone capable and interested in giving it the love it deserves.

My wife and I both felt sadness at seeing it go. Lot's of good times. In the end we needed to make room for new growth. Anyway, again a heart felt thank you to everybody on Explorer forum.

Tim Wilbur