• Register Today It's free!

blown transfer case

Paul97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4.0
Hey all its been a while. I'm gonna say sorry as I know transfer cases have been talked about a lot in this forum. I had the typical whirring sound when I let off the gas but after putting it off my transfer case went and I have no gears and the truck drifts in park before I get my butt under the truck is there a possibility I damaged much else other then the transfer case. Ill be super pissed if I spend all the time replacing it in the freezing cold and money if its not gonna fix it. And thanks ahead of time for any help. Oh and by the way its a 97 xlt 4.0 sohc.

Most likely all you need is a Range Collar & upgraded shift fork...easy fix, but it is one of things you can sink some serious cash into, depending on how far you want to go with the rebuild. Hit me up if you need links.

Thanks a lot I was gonna grab a clean low mileage used transfer case from one of the 100 junk yards in or around philly just wanted to make sure that would take care of the problem for the most part. At until spring when I already have 2 mechanic buddies coming to spend a week with me and go over the whole truck .

Back