• Register Today It's free!

Blown Transmission. Worth fixing?

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
So my trans gave out on me last night. At least the higher gears. I believe I have the 5r55e. When I put it in Drive, it won't move. And reverse needs half throttle to budge just a little bit. I limped it home by putting it into second gear. So what Im wondering is, replace or get a new vehicle? My mom had the trans for her '03 suburban and it cost $1600 installed through a shop we have been going to for years. I luckily got my ex for $800 about 6 years ago but doubt I find another for a similar price. Also, I'd have to fix things on the new vehicle. Whether it be another explorer or something else. So I'm coming to the explorer community to ask, is it worth it to replace an explorers transmission? Any input helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably worth fixing as long it's in decent shape otherwise. Especially if you can get it done for under $2k. I have an '01 Eddie Bauer 5.0L that is in excellent condition mechanically, as well as aesthetically inside and out (the one pictured at left). If my trans went out in it I'd definitely get it repaired, because there's no way I could replace it with anything as nice for around $2000.

I just have a general rule against fixing transmissions. It seems like once a trans fails, it becomes a money pit that never stays fixed.

^Bad advice, if it's been a solid truck, fix it, if either of mine needed a transmission, I'd do it, they're both good trucks, my 01 SOHC with the 5r55e was driven down to the bottom pretty well and I've brought it up until it's a really nice truck, and I'd do an engine or trans, or both.

Rebuilt mine. No problems. Seems to run better as it breaks in. Rebuild it.

Edit: 3 year warranty. Unlimited miles. First "flush" included in original price After 12 months.

If it were my Ex that had a tranny failure I would want to get it fixed. But all things considered I probably would not be able to, (roughly)$2000 dollars is really steep, especially for a vehicle that gets totaled if someone breathes on it. It's a gamble either way. If you can justify the $1000-$2000 dollars of a new tranny by keeping it on the road for another 10 years, I say it's worth it.

I'd make the decision based on taking stock in what maintenance has already been done on it...and, the overall condition/appearance of the truck. Sure it's a gamble as the engine could be next...but, so is buying another used vehicle. In my case, the truck is from AZ and has zero rust (your being from CA, you can't appreciate what a luxury that is here in the Rust Belt). I've rebuilt the suspension, transfer case and rear diff...and, kept up with general fluid changes and maintenance. If the tranny went out tomorrow, I'd most likely bite the bullet and get it rebuilt.

It's normal for the trans to last 150k Odo. Runs great now. Cheap parts too. 1,900 for trans. Another 750 inballjooints etc

I just have a general rule against fixing transmissions. It seems like once a trans fails, it becomes a money pit that never stays fixed.

You haven't found a true rebuilder. There are a lot of parts changers out there. Do you feel the same on a rebuilt engine?

You haven't found a true rebuilder. There are a lot of parts changers out there. Do you feel the same on a rebuilt engine?

I wouldn't bother with a rebuilt engine either. Too much hassle finding a quality technician, too high of a likelihood of something else failing 2 weeks down the line. I'm willing to drop 10-20% of the value of a car on repairs. Anything more than that is a bad business decision.

A lot of owners with the help of this forum have had luck repairing their own transmissions with only 800$ acquiring it might be worth a shot

I wouldn't bother with a rebuilt engine either. Too much hassle finding a quality technician, too high of a likelihood of something else failing 2 weeks down the line. I'm willing to drop 10-20% of the value of a car on repairs. Anything more than that is a bad business decision.
Understand completely. Economics plays a huge role in determining repairs. And yes things can happen even with brand new but its how the problems are handled that tells a lot about the integrity of the person or company you have chosen.

I've decided to to have the tranny rebuilt, or buy a rebuilt one. My truck has been good to me. I've owned it for 6 years and about 60k miles, currently at 201k, and the most expensive repair I've had was the radiator but I did that when I first bought it. Cosmetically, it's ok. Clear coat is fading on the roof and the interior has a couple stains on the carpet. But I'm not worried about having a 16 year old truck be immaculate as long as it runs great.
So today after I get out of class, about 4 hours from now, I'll take her to the shop to see what's actually wrong and get a quote. I think a total cost of 1000-2000 would be fine. I happened to look for "new" vehicles under 3000 within my area and couldn't find crap. My ex has been loyal to me and I think she's worth it. Thank you all for the feedback. I'll post what new information I find after I visit the shop

I've decided to to have the tranny rebuilt, or buy a rebuilt one. My truck has been good to me. I've owned it for 6 years and about 60k miles, currently at 201k, and the most expensive repair I've had was the radiator but I did that when I first bought it. Cosmetically, it's ok. Clear coat is fading on the roof and the interior has a couple stains on the carpet. But I'm not worried about having a 16 year old truck be immaculate as long as it runs great.
So today after I get out of class, about 4 hours from now, I'll take her to the shop to see what's actually wrong and get a quote. I think a total cost of 1000-2000 would be fine. I happened to look for "new" vehicles under 3000 within my area and couldn't find crap. My ex has been loyal to me and I think she's worth it. Thank you all for the feedback. I'll post what new information I find after I visit the shop

For what it's worth, I think that you're making the right decision. Buying another used vehicle just because you need a transmission makes no sense. When I could afford it, I bought new vehicles every 2-3 years and never paid for repairs. Things are different now. Cheaper to keep her.

So I went to the shop got got some numbers. The rebuilt tranny itself would be $1400, plus labor we're looking at around $1800. A little more than what my moms suburban had cost but still under the 2k budget. Didn't drop it off. I'll do that in a couple days. Just can't wait to have her running at full potential again

Just a quick question. Does the $1400 price include hard parts if any are needed? That would include any parts that are required out of the ordinary overhaul. Example pump, planetary gears,case drums etc. Be sure to ask if not sure. Because if they are not included you could be over your $2000 mark pretty easy.

Just got my truck back today. The shop finished it yesterday but no one was available to pick it up so I had my dad pick it up for me today. The final total was actually 1400 and I don't know what was done to the tranny. As in, how thorough the rebuild was. But I'll stop by and ask next week. Seems fine so far. Didn't push it or anything. The shop isn't far from home so i only took the streets. I'll take it on a better test drive later tonight. Any tips for a new rebuilt transmission? Is there a break in period or something?

Never ever shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive with the vehicle still moving. Keep an eye on transmission fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back