• Register Today It's free!

blown woofer

wgs96xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
The woofer in the rear passenger side of my 1996 explorer is blown. Is there a trick to pulling the panel to get to the speaker? I don't want to damage anything. Also any recommendation on replacement speaker?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The trick is... don't try to remove the speaker cover. It will come off, but I broke mine doing it. You are better off removing the entire right/rear interior pannel - it's easier to remove and you won't break anything. Also, it gives you full access to the small plastic subwoofer cabinet that resides within. Crutchfield used to have the odd-ball 6" subwoofer with the cabinet for a god-awful amount. I haven't found it anywhere else besides Ford. Here's the link: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_530/Vehicle-specific-Enclosures-with-Subs.html?tp=113#&showAll=Y Correction: I just looked at Crutchfield and they no longer carry the exact 6" speaker, but they do sell the custom-fit cabinets with 10" woofer's in them that fit inside the interior trim pannel. Pyramid also makes a 6" 300W subwoofer, "PW677X" at Amazon.com for $17.89.
What I did is repair my speaker with silicone gasket maker. That worked for a while, but the paper that the speaker was made with was just too old and it kept tearing in different places. Finally, I purchased a seperate cabinet and mounted a 12" sub in it with a 400W amp that sits in the back (not inside the interior trim pannel). I also added a new CD/MP3/WMA/SD/USB/I-Pod receiver in the dash and better speakers in the doors.:D

Sorry to wake an old thread, but before I take this all apart: how many watts is the original JBL rated for? Anyone have a pic and a part number for just the speaker? Thx, M

Holy crap I can't believe they charge $450 for a plastic box and 200watt sub woffer lmao.

The Kenwood Excelon KFCXW800F Subwoofer is a direct fit replacement for the stock sub. It is a shallow mount 8" sub that matches to the stock amp quite nicely. 150w rms @ 4 ohms. Crutchfield lists it for $169 but that's crazy. You can get it for around $100 if you search around. Hope this helps.

I have not pulled the speaker yet, but I thought that for a 1997 it would be a 6.5" speaker. Is it actually 8"? Mine has the metal screen, which I think can be removed without pulling the entire panel, so I will look tomoorrow.

Okay. Pulled it. It is 6.5". Speaker looked okay. Took inside and thought maybe I saw a break in the foam surround. Surround does not seem to be fragile. Coil seems to move okay. Pulled off black plastic front cover, but that's all bonded to the surround I discovered. Half-way done the surround replacement! Tapping any spot on edge of cone so as to tilt it a little results in an internal click, but an evenly distributed depression straight in does not reveal any rubbing. Any other checks I should do on the speaker? I assume it's worthy of a refoam. Only other thing I could think of is that the speaker is okay and the amp is shot, but would the amp just die, or could it just start farting? The speaker markings, BTW, are on the cone: 39-0057 97 122 and on the back of the magnet, so far as I can tell: 1837 14.

Okay. Pulled it. It is 6.5". Speaker looked okay. Took inside and thought maybe I saw a break in the foam surround. Surround does not seem to be fragile. Coil seems to move okay. Pulled off black plastic front cover, but that's all bonded to the surround I discovered. Half-way done the surround replacement! Tapping any spot on edge of cone so as to tilt it a little results in an internal click, but an evenly distributed depression straight in does not reveal any rubbing. Any other checks I should do on the speaker? I assume it's worthy of a refoam. Only other thing I could think of is that the speaker is okay and the amp is shot, but would the amp just die, or could it just start farting? The speaker markings, BTW, are on the cone: 39-0057 97 122 and on the back of the magnet, so far as I can tell: 1837 14.

did you test it with a multimeter for continuity? How many ohms across the voice coil?

Here is a good informational post

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/quick-reference-for-audio-forum.25999/

Six ohms on the coil. Rapping the backside sharply results in 5.8-6.2 back to 6.0

My '98 was 8". I should say that I had (I have since replaced the HU) was the MACH system. Maybe that had an 8" sub. Sorry for the misinformation.

Back