Blueka's "Pickle" Registry.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blueka's "Pickle" Registry....

Since 2005 when I bought "Betty", my UK Explorer, I've wanted a sport...

well, now that I live in Canada, the chance has presented itself for me to get one...

This one.... it's a 99 sport, 4.0 SOHC... it's a total write off for the moment... but when I saw the advert on Kijiji I couldn't say no. It needed some love and I wanted a project to get stuck into, so I did my research and found out how much parts are gonna cost me etc etc.

So. I present.. Pickle.. (cos it's green and in a right mess)

Si
Explorer vin x.jpg
Explorer vin E 2.jpg
Explorer vin E.jpg
Explorer vin E 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work man....im curious, what did you use to treat the carpet? Mines got some nasty stains id like to tackle, but theres so many damn cleaners out there idk which ones good and what ones are bad.

Great progress so far! I love that combonation, green with tan interior.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

wow, looks like quite the project!!!! Can't wait to see it as it comes along:)

Also interested to see how much work you put into the SOHC....mine's getting up there in miles, so I'm thinking of picking up a spare engine and going thru it myself.

good luck:)

my girlfriend's mom has a bissel cleaner.. It had never been used before so I thought it only fair to give it a trial haha..

My girlfriend's dad is a mechanic and he's said that if we're gonna go to all the trouble of new chains etc then we might aswell strip it right down, new bearings, seals and everything else, so that's what we're doing.

Si

My girlfriend's dad is a mechanic and he's said that if we're gonna go to all the trouble of new chains etc then we might aswell strip it right down, new bearings, seals and everything else, so that's what we're doing.

Si

Absolutely, I could not agree more. Can you imagine how pissed off you would be after doing all that work on the top end just to end up with a rod knock a couple months later. :salute:

Great progress so far! I love that combonation, green with tan interior.

I wasn't a fan of the tan interior... but it's kinda growing on me... also found out there's power for the passenger seat... but it's not a powered seat in there, so I might upgrade to leather at a later date..

And as for the engine, This thing is gonna have to last me a good few years, so, I'm gonna take it one step at a time and get it as good as new hopefully, well maybe not with the bodywork, but at least the mechanicals.

Si

So today, I got the engine on the stand and started the tear down.....

It looked like a mouse had been nesting on top of the engine.. it was a mess... I also knew that at least one chain guide was gone, but I was shocked at the "black clay" inside the engine. Doesn't appear to be much damage inside, but we'll know more as we progress...

Picture time..
Before teardown...

05032010235.jpg

05032010236.jpg

05032010237.jpg

"black clay" from inside driver's side of engine
05032010240.jpg

Bits of broken tensioner
05032010241.jpg

This side of the engine was full of really thick, clay like deposits
05032010242.jpg

Both heads off
05032010244.jpg

05032010248.jpg

05032010250.jpg

Sump off
05032010249.jpg

Crank
05032010251.jpg

That's all for now

Si

Engine pictures are great!:thumbsup:

If I could, I would stop over and help out.

Just so you know, the SOHC tends to run hot on the top end.
So thats about the way those heads look after some time.

Great little engine, Im on my third.

Peace Out
Bobby

thanks... I managed to get the crank pulley off yesterday... the damage inside was interesting to say the least... one of the metal chain guides had disintegrated and had lodged itself under one of the cogs. This caused one of the bolts to snap off leaving no drive to any of the chains, except the balance shaft chain. I'll post some pictures up in a bit.

Si

So yesterday, I carried on with the stripping down of the engine and I removed the back seats so that I could clear up the power steering fluid spill in the back and the rest of the broken glass.

Rear seats removed
06032010254.jpg

Snapped bolt that caused all the trouble in the first place
06032010257.jpg

06032010261.jpg

The pulley at the bottom of the picture is where the bolt came from
06032010262.jpg

With the outer cog removed, you can see the bolt snapped in the roller. The chain was also wedged between the engine wall and the piece of debris that is caught in the cog.
06032010265.jpg

This piece was lodged in the cog, which caused the chain to seize, snapping the bolt and causing the engine failure. On the plus side, it looks like no damage to any of the valves and there's no wear on the pistons either.
06032010266.jpg

Si

Some of those valves dont look so good. Are the heads and block going out to a machine shop for work?

The heads will be going out to be skimmed and cleaned up, the valves will all be checked, as will the block prior to re-assembly. I want this to last so it'll be done properly.

Si

Well, over the weekend I went to collect the rest of the bits that they guy I bought it off forgot to deliver. He let me strip the other Explorer Sport that was in the yard and take what I wanted at no extra cost, so I was happy.

I picked up new wiper arms, complete steering column with all the wires, wheel and airbag, keys, locks, latches, a box with all the nuts n bolts that he tool off, Rad, tranny and t-case...

Tranny & T-case
15032010269.jpg

15032010270.jpg

Rad
15032010274.jpg

All the rest
15032010273.jpg

Should keep me busy for a while....

Si

si, you would cry if you saw what i have stashed at work now! there is a 95/96 sport, green in color, with tan interior at work! good hood, bumper, and windshield!!!!! you'll have to move closer :p! the doors are mine however! i might buy a salvaged sport tomorrow with a smacked up passengers door, so i need that!

Dude!!! I don't need doors.... just the cats/o2 sensors, the fuse panel, the arm rest, the cover for the OBD2 reader, the hood and a windshield.... I'm coming to Brandon next month I think.. souvenirs of Manitoba??? haha

Si

SHAZAM!

DSC03315_Medium_.jpg

didn't get that sport, so if you need something else, let me know.

How's the rebuild coming? I have a low KM engine out of a 02 Sport if your interested ;) (And I mean really low)

I'd be interested..... right now, I'm broke... totally broke.. the rebuild is kinda halted, the shaft that runs down the centre of the block that drives both timing chains is kinda damaged and will need a replacement, so this engine might end up being for spares. I'll have to have a proper look at it when I'm next at the in-law's. PM me the details n figures etc...

Si

Back