Bluetooth incoming calls / no sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth incoming calls / no sound

Kent Tomlinson

Reaction score
City, State
Park Ridge, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
2011 Explorer Limited, fully loaded. When accepting an incoming call through SYNC / Bluetooth can not hear person on the other side. Vehicle accepts call no problem and shows connection fine on screen but can not hear person on the other side of call. Functionality works fine for outgoing calls no problem, but when accepting incoming calls can not hear person and nothing through speakers. Help please. Have tried resetting system but no success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Explorer Limited, fully loaded. When accepting an incoming call through SYNC / Bluetooth can not hear person on the other side. Vehicle accepts call no problem and shows connection fine on screen but can not hear person on the other side of call. Functionality works fine for outgoing calls no problem, but when accepting incoming calls can not hear person and nothing through speakers. Help please. Have tried resetting system but no success.
Welcome to the Forum Kent.:wave:
Is there a volume control for that?

Peter

maybe a setting on your phone? On my iPhone when a call comes in it gives 3 choices on the phone something to the effect of answer on iPhone, answer on bluetooth, and something else. Maybe your phone is set to default to your phone, don't know if you can default on an iPhone or on android.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? I am having this same issue, it's like the phone immediately goes into privacy mode and the only way to get it into handsfree mode is to switch back and forth on the phone and/or vehicle, which kind of defeats the purpose of having handsfee in the first place.

I am using an iPhone 6s and my Sync system is up to date, according to syncmyride.com.

I've tried turning off "handoff" mode on my phone, disconnecting and re-pairing my phone, and checking any other settings I can think may have something to do with it, but still no dice.

You might try a reverse pairing. Delete your phone from MFT and MFT from phone. add new phone, when screen comes up hit the button towards the bottom of the screen. It's says something like "find other Bluetooth devices" this will have MFT search for your phone to connect. I've found pairing this way tends to remove some of the glitchiness of MFT as well as SYNC 3.

Well, been investigating on and off for the last month or so and I finally seem to have solved the problem, at least for now. Here's what I did that seemed to get incoming calls working properly again. Unfortunately I did everything at once, so I can't tell if one thing in particular was the answer, or if it was the combination of everything.

- Deleted old phones from my iCloud account (seems like old phones, especially if they have the same name as your current phone, ie. "John's iPhone", can possibly cause an issue). This can be done by loggin into iCloud.com and removing the old phones from your account.
- Reset all network settings on iPhone (Settings - General - Reset)
- Deleted SYNC from my phone's bluetooth settings
- Deleted my phone from saved devices in SYNC
- Paired with reverse pairing method described by Lewisra above

Thank you to everyone who shared thoughts and ideas, hopefully this helps someone else who may be having a similar issue.

I have tried this method with my wife's iPhone 6 and it does work. I had to pull out an old iPhone 5s to work with sync.

Are you accepting the phone call using your phone or using the steering wheel controls?

I have found that if I accept the call using my iPhone, it will answer that call in privacy mode but if I click accept call using the steering wheel controls it works through the speakers.

Are you accepting the phone call using your phone or using the steering wheel controls?

I have found that if I accept the call using my iPhone, it will answer that call in privacy mode but if I click accept call using the steering wheel controls it works through the speakers.
If you are replying to the originator of this thread, the post is 1 year old and it was his one and only post. Hasn't been back since then. I usually just press 'Accept' on the screen.

Peter

I had same issue with 2013 Ford Edge when iOS went above10.1.
I did a Master Reset. To answer incoming calls I have to accept the call on the steering wheel right side ok button, a screen on right side of odometer says “accept”. Then down to Privacy, hit ok, then “switch to hands free”, hit ok.
This isn’t the safest while you are driving to hit the ok button three times.

2014 Explorer XLT. When call comes in, I cant hear it through the car speakers but the person on the line can hear me. I've done a master reset several times, to no avail. Ford diagnosed the problem and said I needed a new APIM. I purchased a new APIM but the problem remains! I need some serious help!!

Hmm, the phone volume and master volume on the SYNC system function independently. Make sure that you're turning up volume at the head unit during the call--an audible radio doesn't mean an audible phone. (I know, it's obvious, you probably already tried, but bears repeating...) On the phone side, too, make sure the volume is ramped up.

Do you have another phone to pair and compare results with?

These are the very first steps I took in troubleshooting the problem. I thought it may have something to do with the speakers but I hear other SYNC prompts through them just fine. I really need help on this one.

The prompt voice being audible is a red herring--they have a different volume control for each part of the system (prompt voice, phone call audio, and stereo audio). I'll let others chime in.

When the phone call is active I turn the volume to the max and it confirms that the "Phone Volume" is being adjusted in the lower left hand corner but I still cant hear anything through the car speakers. The caller can hear me just fine, though.

Is there a programmable fix for this issue using Forscan?

Is there a programmable fix for this issue using Forscan?
Welcome to the Forum Moe.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature.
I don't believe this is an issue that can be solved with FORScan. I'm sure I'll be corrected if that's wrong.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. No problem but I still need some suggestions on how to fix this issue. . . Its TERRIBLY ANNOYING!!!

Back