• Register Today It's free!

Boat Towing.

snoopy2003

Reaction score
City, State
Eunice, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 (ordered 4/7)
I purchased a 2011 explorer in June fwd xlt with the tow package. I was kinda worried about front wheel drive for towing. I pulled my Boat(Bayliner 185) for the first time yesterday. It weighs with trailer and loaded with gear around 3500 pounds or so. The explorer towed great way past my expectations it towed better then my 2005 silverado 5.3l v8. I was very excited till it came time to pull it up the launch it took 5 tries to get up with a whole lot of spinning. I was almost worried it was not going to happen. Now I was in the boat and the guy driving does not have much experience towing so I don't know if this has a little bit to do with it or not also the launch was concrete squares with lots of pea gravel which I'm sure didn't help. I am
Just wondering If there are any techniques in a front wheel drive vehicle to help besides 4x4 which I am regretting right now not ordering when I ordered back in April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2011 explorer in June fwd xlt with the tow package. I was kinda worried about front wheel drive for towing. I pulled my Boat(Bayliner 185) for the first time yesterday. It weighs with trailer and loaded with gear around 3500 pounds or so. The explorer towed great way past my expectations it towed better then my 2005 silverado 5.3l v8. I was very excited till it came time to pull it up the launch it took 5 tries to get up with a whole lot of spinning. I was almost worried it was not going to happen. Now I was in the boat and the guy driving does not have much experience towing so I don't know if this has a little bit to do with it or not also the launch was concrete squares with lots of pea gravel which I'm sure didn't help. I am
Just wondering If there are any techniques in a front wheel drive vehicle to help besides 4x4 which I am regretting right now not ordering when I ordered back in April.
I thought the tow rating decreased from the 5000 lbs to something like 2000lbs for FWD?

1tufgt said:
I thought the tow rating decreased from the 5000 lbs to something like 2000lbs for FWD?

It is 5000 with the tow package on fwd. 2000 for none tow package.

...I was very excited till it came time to pull it up the launch it took 5 tries to get up with a whole lot of spinning. I was almost worried it was not going to happen. Now I was in the boat and the guy driving does not have much experience towing so I don't know if this has a little bit to do with it or not also the launch was concrete squares with lots of pea gravel which I'm sure didn't help...
snoopy2003,
I asked my advisor and he suggested changing to a softer tire would possibly help some. The biggest thing is to just take it easy when pulling the boat back out because it’s a very slippery surface. Shutting off traction control would probably help as well.

1tufgt,
I verified that it’s 5000 lb. with the tow package, like snoopy2003 said. :)

Cory

snoopy2003,
I asked my advisor and he suggested changing to a softer tire would possibly help some. The biggest thing is to just take it easy when pulling the boat back out because it’s a very slippery surface. Shutting off traction control would probably help as well.

1tufgt,
I verified that it’s 5000 lb. with the tow package, like snoopy2003 said. :)

Cory

WOW! How nice to have a Manufacturer representative, on line, attentive to customers concerns even when evidently no defects are present. Good job!...Snoopy2003: As Cory said, shut off traction control, shift the transmission manually to 1st. gear, and go very slow.

Yeah that was pretty good by Ford right there!!

Of course I haven't had any issues when towing but then again I did order the 4WD. I'm sure it really was the concrete you were on.

I noticed on my 4WD LCD display and most of the power goes toward the front axle when i would pull up. So don't feel bad, even when the surface was flat from the stop light. I noticed that most of the power went to the front drive wheels, it was only when I had a more aggressive launch that power would be distrobuted evenly among all axles.

Hope that gives you a better feeling and I'm sure it was the guy driving, you need I'd go to a lower gear and let it creep up then gently apply force to avoid slippage.

My boat weighs about 3600lbs and wet with trailer I'm looking at 4400lbs fyi.

Happy Boating.

Can the boat help push?

Can the boat help push?

Thats too damn funny!! Hey by the way how is the Ex? I've heard nothing from you about the Ex since you got it!

M1911A1 said:
WOW! How nice to have a Manufacturer representative, on line, attentive to customers concerns even when evidently no defects are present. Good job!...Snoopy2003: As Cory said, shut off traction control, shift the transmission manually to 1st. gear, and go very slow.

Turn off traction control? Seems like it should be on to get traction? Can you explain this for me thanks.

To the ford rep,
Ford should seriously think of offering a different version of the explorer with at least rwd if not a v8 like they used to.

Turn off traction control? Seems like it should be on to get traction? Can you explain this for me thanks.

The idea to turn off the traction control is that at the earliest wheel slip, the throttle cuts back. This is the recommended idea when stuck in snow or other highly adverse conditions.

The other school of thought would be to leave traction control on and simply apply steady power to the throttle and let the traction control manage wheel spin.

The latter will not work if there is no movement sensed by the vehicle (really stuck). The traction control will only ease up when it sees forward progress.

I think the lowering the gear would not help...in fact you might want to try to start in 2nd gear. That limits the torque available by your right foot and makes you smoother.

I was somewhat serious about the boat helping. The last thing you want is to brake front wheel traction, slide backwards, float the rear end, and go into the drink. I think it would be mandatory that someone stays in the boat, engine idling, in neutral, just in case the Ex needs a bump.

Car 54 said:
The idea to turn off the traction control is that at the earliest wheel slip, the throttle cuts back. This is the recommended idea when stuck in snow or other highly adverse conditions.

The other school of thought would be to leave traction control on and simply apply steady power to the throttle and let the traction control manage wheel spin.

The latter will not work if there is no movement sensed by the vehicle (really stuck). The traction control will only ease up when it sees forward progress.

I think the lowering the gear would not help...in fact you might want to try to start in 2nd gear. That limits the torque available by your right foot and makes you smoother.

I was somewhat serious about the boat helping. The last thing you want is to brake front wheel traction, slide backwards, float the rear end, and go into the drink. I think it would be mandatory that someone stays in the boat, engine idling, in neutral, just in case the Ex needs a bump.

I know what you are saying about the boat helping I see this all the time I live in louisiana and I see this here and there but I am scared to do it myself. I do not want to hurt my inboard. In my situation the launch I was on the water was low in the river. The x was able to pull the
Boat out the water it was the extra 10 feet up the launch that was the problem once the boat was completely out the water it still had a Lil ways to go up. I will try turning the traction control off this weekend when I go back wakeboarding.

Thanks for clarifying. That is disappointing but unfortunately the characteristic of FWD. You could also try to weigh down the back of the boat to get more weight on the front axle.

Post the results of traction control or not! Post some pics on the tow thread too!!!

M1911A1,
Thanks! It’s important to be here for the loyal Ford owners like you guys! :D

It looks like your question was already addressed, snoopy2003. :) Thanks again for taking the time to post that, Car 54.

To the ford rep,
Ford should seriously think of offering a different version of the explorer with at least rwd if not a v8 like they used to.
mountaineerbeast,
That’s a good suggestion and would be a great idea to post on www.TheFordStory.com in the “Your Ideas” section. :) Be sure to share the link so others can rate and comment on your submission. :D

Cory

mean while back to out regular schedule programing.....

When you are ready to pull the boat out and prior to actually backing down the ramp, take a look around at the ramp itself and look for an area or areas that will offer better traction. Look for a dry area area or one without sludge, grease/oil on the ramp. If the ramp is wide enough, and you are effcient enough, try to take some of climb out of the water by backing down at a different angle or area.

Good luck

in most states it is illegal to power load onto the trailer, doesn't stop people from doing it. What it does is basically dig a whole at the bottom of the ramp and in the long run can make a ramp very unsafe.

So using the boat to push the truck up the ramp would be an extensions of power loading.

Good thread. I'm debating about FWD and AWD (both with tow package). Boat I would be getting would be about 3500lbs with trailer. Only thing I was worried about with FWD was this, but if it can pull it off then I can pocket the $3K for AWD

Back