Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

body lift advice/help needed

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Schobanger, June 15, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Schobanger

Schobanger Member

City, State:
      Fargo, ND
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Explorer Sport
      so as i understand it, THIS body lift kit is the one i need for my explorer? i am not very experienced installing anything that has to do with my sploder. i do have some friends that would be able to help out though, one that has completed a body lift. how much time is needed to do the lift overall? how much modifications to the lift are needed to fit the explorer.? these are all general questions, and i thank you in advance for the help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason c

Jason c The Dark Knight

City, State:
      Portland, OR
      2000 Limited 5.0L
    4. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      '97 XLT
      Not trying to be a dick, but this is one of the most asked about topic on these forums. It's covered at least once a week. Please run a search on body lift and you'll find more info than you will know what to do with.

5. Schobanger

Schobanger Member

City, State:
      Fargo, ND
      '97 Explorer Sport
      i understand what you are saying, and i dont take it offensively, its just the fact that people say "well this needs to be modified" ok how? in what way? pics? people dont use pics as needed. like i said im not very skilled with mechanincs yet or how to do a body lift so the modifying will make it just that much harder.

6. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      '97 XLT
      I hear ya. It might be a little different for me with the 4 door, but I didn't modify much. I had to get new bumper brackets so the bumpers sit higher and even with the raised body. I also had to shave down the steering extension a little bit to get it to fit, but it did. The rest was just lifting slow and checking brake lines and hoses and making sure everything had enough room to stretch.

One piece of advice - when you're done (if you do a 3'') check your AC high pressure line and make sure it's NOT pulled against the serp belt. I learned the hard way that if you don't notice this, the belt will eventually cut into the line and you'll need to replace that and recharge the system.

The hardest part is likely going to bee the rusted bolts, so make sure you get in there and soak everything good with PB blaster or Liquid Wrench a few weeks in advance.