Body Mount Bushings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Mount Bushings

Thread the bolts back in from the top 1/2" and hammer the extension with the socket on the bolt head. Easy.

Did that for at least an hour each on 3 of them. No go. Actually stripped all the threads out of 1. Used heat, force, still no go. The bolt trick worked on a couple of them, some came with just a quick blow of the hammer. After 3 days I had no choice but to put everything back together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Door problem now...

Well I was able to change out all of the body mounts with the help if this thread, Torch is a 100% must have!

Only issue is the drivers side door is now off... The handle side went Up...!?

I had to move the striker bolt just to get it to close.. Has anyone had this happen? Not on to figuring out how to re-align the door...

The Prothane 6116 body mounts are reported to be 1/4" taller than OEM. Not sure if the Daystar KF04015 kit is the same.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1338877&SUB=1338893

Adjustments can be made at the door hinges. You should seriously consider having a body shop align the doors. GL
https://www.scribd.com/doc/252524254/Door-Alignment-8212-Front-General-Procedures
https://www.scribd.com/doc/252524235/hinge-adjustment-8212-front-door-general-procedures-pdf

Please change "Sport" to Sport Trac or ST in your profile. Thanks.

I have daystar but couldn't get them all in. The ones I did change look to be the same as stock

I have daystar but couldn't get them all in. The ones I did change look to be the same as stock

Yep,

I have the daystars as well. The front radiator top support needs to be filed a small amount to fit in the frame hole and the rear pillars mounts, the bottom one is too short, so they will not screw down all the way. They are sending me addition ones so I will have to figure out how to modify them. Other than the rear squeeking, the ride is definitely better!

Anyone use the Dorman body mounts now made for ST?

I have been reading the threads about crumbling body mounts, and was just about to order the Prothane kit for my 03 ST, when I noticed that Dorman recently (sometime late in 2014) came out with rubber mount kits designed specifically for the Sport Trac and some Explorer Sports. Here is the link:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...rer Sport Trac&parttype=Body Mount&origin=YMM

They can be ordered online or from local parts stores like Autozone, etc. I called their tech support line and they said they include all hardware, including the metal sleeves and new bolts. They are all sold separately for body mount locations 2, 3 and 4 in kits of two to cover both sides (but it appears not for location 1 at rad support). Price-wise they appear like they would be more expensive than the Prothane kit, but they include some hardware and bolts and you can get only the mounts you need it seems. Best I can tell it appears that only mounts 2 and 3 are the ones that actually crumble....? The others appear to already be made out of rubber...?

But main thing is they are made out of rubber and not poly, so should be softer I would expect?

Has anyone tried these products and have any insight into how they work or fit?

Only feedback I've seen for Dorman body mounts, and it's not encouraging. IMO, Dorman/Help products are hit or miss, at best. There are numerous threads on other forums regarding the Daystar 4009 and Prothane 6116 poly kits for the Gen 1 ST. If your body mount shells can be reused they seem like better and less expensive options. I replaced eight A and B foam pillar mounts with OEM only because of the deal I got from OffTrac. One bit of advice if you go with either poly kit is to clean ALL the blue thread lock compound off the threads with a wire wheel before installation. Poly retains a very slight memory afer initially tightening, enough to compress and cause looseness and squeaking. Both clearly state in their instructions to re-torque to their recommended spec after driving 500-1000 miles. Apply Loctite the second time you tighten, and they will be much easier to remove.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3364134

Well I just ordered my mounts, didn't get the deal I had seen the week prior but oh well.

Only other thing I'll need to get is an electric impact wrench. I took a better look and the only mount that is scaling rust is b (drivers side is worse than pass) position (nearest a pillar). Harbor freight has 20% off coupon this weekend, so I may try going tomorrow during work to grab the 50$ wrench. I'm just afraid it won't be enough

I'll be back with questions I'm sure, time to find some more videos

Finally got my body mounts in today and I did get that electric impact at harbor freight, with 20% off made a total of 40$. Have a propane torch and pb blaster for soaking a week before planned install.

Next thing is to search around for new bolts. I followed the ford parts link from swshawaii for the pn but it has 3-4 bolts and not a single picture diagram, so not sure which I need or how many of each but I want to get these since I know I'll be battling rust. How would I know if the sleeves and other hardware is in a condition to reuse. Thanks in advance

24A952E5-E73F-425D-AFEE-AA552D540AD6_zps097vdlyw.jpg

I just traded Valas (member here) my bed extender for a brand new Prothane body bushing kit 6-116 he bought from another local guy (non member).

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

I'll be doing this project probably the right after I remove the factory drivetrain. If you're planning on doing a bodylift this is the time to do it, especially since you probably need to replace body bolts anyway. You can get Grade 8 bolts from a hardware store or Fastenal store cheaper than factory bolts if you don't wanna do the BL. As long as you don't destroy the sleeves removing them and removing the old bushings from them than you'll be good to reuse them.

I don't plan on a body lift. Any specs on sizes besides grade 8 and are they all the same besides "a". I'd like to be prepared with everything I need versus trying to find a ride to the store half way threw

I'm hoping to reuse the sleeves an such, otherwise I'll be screwed

I'll look up what the specs are on the bolts here in a minute from the Ford Factory Assembly Manual I have and post them for you. I'll probably be taking a trip to Fastenal too. LOL

Edit: O.k. so I couldn't find the bolt specs in the book but I did find my bodylift instruction manual which has the spec for the longer bolts, so in theory just subtract 3" from the length from these measurements and you have the specs.

(6) 12mm x 1.25 x 180mm ...../
(2) 12mm x 1.25 x 160mm ...../ In the bl instruction manual it has these in the parts list included but in the instructions they're all 1.75's
(4) 12mm x 1.75 x 140mm

I don't know the conversion ratio's from metric to standard but I'm sure one of our Canadian members will chime in on this and set it straight. LOL Sorry I've been out of school too long and I'm past tired right now.

M12 or 1/2" grade 8 or higher bolts

2 ea. 100mm or 4" (A) Radiator Support
6 ea. 72mm or 3" (B-C-D)

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...trac/chassis-frame-body-mount-insulators.html

See "Body Mounts" for bolt pics. Special bolt tips not needed.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?VIEW=10452

Thank you, that's the link I was talking about for the bolts. There are 4 bolts listed of different size (1 is discontinued). Why is the rad. Support bolts listed as m12*1.75*100 but the rest are m12*72mm (is the 1.75 for the threads)? But it's not mentioned for the "b,c,d"? Getting the right specs from fastenal, I shouldn't have to do anything with the threads/holes/nuts, if that makes since. Simply screw

What's the other bolt, that's not dicontinued (m10*1.5*38.5) supposed to be for?

Those pictures are exactly what I'm expecting my bolts to look like.

I'll look up what the specs are on the bolts here in a minute from the Ford Factory Assembly Manual I have and post them for you. I'll probably be taking a trip to Fastenal too. LOL

Edit: O.k. so I couldn't find the bolt specs in the book but I did find my bodylift instruction manual which has the spec for the longer bolts, so in theory just subtract 3" from the length from these measurements and you have the specs.

(6) 12mm x 1.25 x 180mm ...../
(2) 12mm x 1.25 x 160mm ...../ In the bl instruction manual it has these in the parts list included but in the instructions they're all 1.75's
(4) 12mm x 1.75 x 140mm

I don't know the conversion ratio's from metric to standard but I'm sure one of our Canadian members will chime in on this and set it straight. LOL Sorry I've been out of school too long and I'm past tired right now.

why is there these extra 4 and what were these for. I'm assuming the 1st set of 6 are "b,c,d" and the 2nd for rad. Support.

Thanks for your help too

There's 2 for the rad support, 6 for the body and 4 for the bed.

Ok gotcha, the bed. But that's more for the body lift instructions correct? Not the body mount.

Correct. The bed is directly on the frame rails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it's been a really long week and I can't think clearly or see clearly right now so can someone please remind me which body bushing kit comes with the sleeves already installed?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a set for Valas, He brought his truck over to my place today and we (me, Valas and his son) started his bodylift and since there were three of us we worked on different parts of the truck to make the job go faster. Well we hit a snag when I saw that his body bushings were completely shot. No problem I had the Prothane kit we traded a few months back so problem solved. Or so we thought, got everything done, started the body bolts, started the last bolt (RR corner of cab) SNAP!!!

We tried everything to get the bushings separated with no luck. We ended up cutting the bushing and sleeve out so now we had new bushings but minus one sleeve. So instead of using my bushing kit he needs to order a new kit that comes with sleeves. Because I'm worn out and tired I can't think straight to find the kit number and brand that he needs.

I know you guys will help us out. Thanks in advance.

Back