Body mount help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body mount help

balnisj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ex. Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport SOHC and i took it to the stealers the other day and they said that I needed to replace all of my body mounts. They gave me a quote for $1400.00 for the parts which is obviously not do-able.

I wanted to know:

a) If anyone knows of any body mount replacement kits?
b) If universal energy suspension body mounts (all identical) are able to replace all 5 sets of body mounts on the car?

Thanks for any help,
joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply... I read over that thread before and no one mentioned the comparability of universal mounts? Are all the mounts on the vehicle the same size? If so then the universals should work right?

I have a 2001 explorer sport SOHC and i took it to the stealers the other day and they said that I needed to replace all of my body mounts. They gave me a quote for $1400.00 for the parts which is obviously not do-able.

I wanted to know:

a) If anyone knows of any body mount replacement kits?
b) If universal energy suspension body mounts (all identical) are able to replace all 5 sets of body mounts on the car?

Thanks for any help,
joe

Balnisj, unfortunately this is a common problem seen in 3rd generation sports and S/T ('01-'02) that is an obvious manufacturing defect. I just got done working on mine and although i wouldn't recommend doing the job yourself, it is possible but a lot of work. I used the Daystar polyurathene body mount bushing kit part #KF04009BK. Although this kit is made for 2nd generation explorers ('91-'98), with a few modifications they will work just fine; and they only cost $250.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/search.asp?keywords=KF04009BK

In a few days I will post a step by step instructions on how I went about changing them and the modifications I had to make. Like I said its a lot of work, but saving more than $1500 on parts and labor makes it worth it.
Stay tuned...

ajc - a pipe wrench with a breaker bar slipped over the end of it will actually hold the bottom plates of the mounts from spinning so you don't have to kill yourself trying to pry vise grips in there to hold it from spinning. Only downside is you need an extra set of hands.

Back