• Register Today It's free!

borg warner 4404 strength?

1997_5_oh

Reaction score
City, State
Bennington, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT AWD
im putting stuff together to rebuild my 1997 5.0 AWD expy im gonna build up the 5.0 to maybe 350-375 horse at least hopefully, im gonna beef up the 4r70w and rebuild my axles front and rear (which leads to other questions..another time) but how strong is the 4404? if i pushed 370 lb-ft at the motor would it even hold? the truck is gonna be more of a enjoyment truck than anything i dont hot rod or pull sleds i dont go wheeling or anything but i love the awd in the snow and it shines in the snow and thats the purpose for the build (plus too many memories to part with the truck)..so does anyone know the limits of the 4404 or if there are any parts to build it to hold?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frankly, I think your best bet would be the BW4406 out of the F-150. Would give you the options of 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel HI and 4 wheel Lo. I forget if the 97 AWD has the speed sensor in the t/case, but I am pretty sure that it does not.
Heres some good reading on the mod itself.
MountaineerGreens' Thread (manual shift)
Mutineer's Thread (electric shift)
If you do a site search for BW4406, you will have tons of material to read.

i dont think it does and i was just hoping i could avoid that switch. i truly understand the benefits of it and would love the selectable t-case, but i will give thoes links a read and see if it helps clear my mind.

Hunt for the couple of threads dealing with rebuilds of the 4404 and 4403. The viscous clutch will be the weak link, and rebuilding it to start with would be a good thing IMO. There was a good reference there to a lowest cost replacement part in one of those threads.

The AWD can handle your 302, you won't get 375hp or lbs.ft from it to hurt the TC. Regards,

The 97 has the sensor in the t-case

im putting a mini stroker(331) and afr 185's for heads 350+hp is very reasonable.

so if you swapped a shift on the fly from a 4.0l expo to a 5.0 would it work?, and wat about the 4wheel drive system how would that work?

so if you swapped a shift on the fly from a 4.0l expo to a 5.0 would it work?

No, it would not work. The mounting flanges on the t/cases are different.

and what about the 4wheel drive system how would that work?

The 4406 T/case I referred to is out of a F-150 and is a manually shifted t/case Shifter comes up through the floor).
The electric shift t/case I referred to is out of an Expedition (which is essentially the same chassis as an F-150).
It would require some electrical work to be done to the truck. Read the "Mutineer" thread for more information about what would be required to make it work.

I actually made contact with Borg Warner today I am hoping to hear from them soon. I shall know within a few days

Don't waste money on a 332(not 331), buy the 347. Any contradictory stories you have heard or read are wrong, 347's built today are equally as reliable and use no more oil. That old advice is BS today.

Don't waste money on AFR heads, they are simply very high quality stock design heads.

Any TFS high port or Twisted Wedge heads will beat any comparable AFR's given proper custom cams for each, plus they cost no more.

Sell the AFR heads and get Twisted Wedge heads(190 FAC), plus a custom cam designed for the heads and the biggest intake you can get(TFS "R" or Super Victor/Victor Jr). Then go race the guy you sold the AFR heads to, that's fun. Good luck,

CDW you seem to have your head on right..the more people i talk to the more confused i get..but what i hear from you pushes me back to what i was orginally thinking. So let me ask you this, as you have read my plan above what would you reccomend i do with my project other than bigger stroker..do i use the 4404 or ditch it for the 4406 manual shift? And any other suggestions you might have as i am very early into the truck at this point. Thanks

You are well on your way to getting deep into the project, asking questions and the research time is very valuable. Keep working on the budget as you figure out what certain things cost, and expect it to take longer than the first estimate.

I suggest if you can spend the time, to join the http://sbftech.com/ forum and read a lot about the best Ford parts these days. There is a myths section there and others which open up after ten posts to members. The bottom line is that you can learn of the best parts to use, and/or sizes etc, and end up spending no more, or less than if you rush in and then change things again later.

I learned from SBFtech just after ordering my engine and cam/heads about certain engine building facts I didn't know before. So I ended up with a little extra cost in my engine and planned it with the stock intake(mistake). It'll only cost me 30HP or so but this 347 will eventually go into my Mark VII, which doesn't need as much power.

I think you will do fine with the AWD if you don't use any boost or nitrous. If you search enough on the SBFtech forum, you will find a few examples of 400RWHP 347's or 332's. With the right heads/cam and compression, that is not hard to do. Keep your rpm's to a reasonable level like 6000rpm(which will bring the max power down a little). You can get the engine tuned with the stock PCM and have it be completely docile in normal driving. The trick is the right custom cam matched to the best heads and intake.

You will need a well built trans, start with a 98 or newer model, and for that higher power don't use a TransGo shift kit. Those are for closer to stock power levels. Contact Alan of Dirty Dog transmissions for a torque converter, and trans advice. He will suggest a car valve body and to do the Jerry's Mod" to it. That's what I'm doing with mine at the moment.

You will be frustrated by advice about exhaust. The stock system sucks, and 99% of what you hear will be wrong. A strong 347 needs a lot of exhaust, any fast Mustang will have dual pipes of at least 3" all the way back. The goal should be the same, make it as big as possible, given the restrictions around the engine and trans. I'm going to move my fuel and brake lines into the frame to give me room for 3" pipes. I don't suggest you do that but find a good local expert to look at your truck around the front pinion to let them explain how tight it is in there.

A healthy 347 would need headers of about 1.75" in size, so when you read of how great 1.5" TM headers are, understand I think they suck and I'm nice to not say it often. Your only choice for headers is going to be those little 1.5" headers, or to have a set custom made, and that is extremely expensive, so nobody does it. Regards,

The 4406 T/case I referred to is out of a F-150 and is a manually shifted t/case Shifter comes up through the floor).
The electric shift t/case I referred to is out of an Expedition (which is essentially the same chassis as an F-150).

ok so then, i can pull a t/case sof from f-150 or expedition? and wat years?

ok so then, i can pull a t/case sof from f-150 or expedition? and wat years?

I would like to draw your attention to post number 2 of this thread.
Click on the link for "MountaineerGreen's Thread". Clear your self about an hour or so of uninterrupted reading, take notes and that thread will answer every question you will have if you pay attention. It's all there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me so that we do not continue to step on someone elses thread.

I would like to draw your attention to post number 2 of this thread.
Click on the link for "MountaineerGreen's Thread". Clear your self about an hour or so of uninterrupted reading, take notes and that thread will answer every question you will have if you pay attention. It's all there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me so that we do not continue to step on someone elses thread.

FYI also, check out this thread where Brian asked about doing the 4406 swap. He might want some of your parts and help. Regards,

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

sorry i must have missed that link, but thanks for the help

Back