Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Both tail lights flash with turn signals

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Drdehnana, April 22, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Drdehnana

Drdehnana New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
    I recently replaced all front and rear turn signals and the tail/brake lights with LEDs. I got an EP27 LED relay from Advance Auto, so there's no rapid flashing.

The only problem is that now when I use my turn signal, both front turn signals flash (as if I had the hazards on) and both rear tail/brake lights flash. The rear turn signals do not flash together, only the fronts. With the hazards on, all turn signals flash in addition to the tail/brake lights.

This only happens if my headlamps/parking lamps are off. If I switch on the parking lamps or headlights, everything works as it should.

I don't think there's a wiring problem because everything worked flawlessly until the LEDs and new relay came in. I guess it just doesn't like the LEDs, but as long as my parking lamps or headlights are on, all is well.

Any thoughts? I know I could go back to incandescent and fix the problem, but that's no fun! :)

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.