Bottom Door Edge Issue?? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

My 2011 limited exp has already started to rust on the bottom of the doors inside edge. I was just at the dealer and was looking at the lower door moulding on the bottom of the body where the bottom edge of the doors seals to the body when the door is closed on a new 2016 exp. The new moulding is very soft and mine is a hard plastic. The constant rubbing of my doors bottoms edge on this hard moulding during opening and closing has now rubbed through the paint exposing the bare metal. Does anyone know if the 2016 lower door seal will fit the older 2001-2014 exp. If so I'm buying right away.
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 12 year old Saab that has none of these fit and finish/paint issues. It is mint. And, I did not get lucky. These issues do not exist on older 9-5's from all my involvement on a Saab forum. Some engine issues yes (which seems to be the Ex's strong point), but even my previous GMC Jimmy I had for 16 years held up better when it came to the paint holding up and and rust/corrosion not occurring. Yes, the engine was a disaster the first 3 years on that Jimmy - thankfully all taken care under warranty and then it was fine.

I guess I should be happy the Ex appears to have a strong powertrain. Just not used to the fit/finish/paint issues.

Saab vs Ford...that should be your clue!

The door edge fix is here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was again at the dealer and just stopped in to the parts dept. and asked if the 2016 exp and the 2011 exp had the same part number for the rocker moulding. And guess what, the new 2016 uses the same moulding as the 2011. Why is this important you ask. Because my 2011 moulding is a hard rubber that rubs the bottom of the door. I have personally looked at the new 2016 rocker moulding and the new 2016 uses a soft weather strip like the one around the door. It looks like Ford made a running design change in the moulding's bottom edge to keep the moulding from rubbing the paint off and rusting new doors. The bad new is the redesigned rocker moulding is about $260 U.S. a side. Here are the part numbers Ford gave me:
BB5Z-7810177-AA Driver side
BB5Z-7810176-AA Passenger side
This is how Ford should of done it in the beginning. To bad it took them so long to address it. I'll keep a vehicle as long as she stays rust free. I had an Expedition for fifteen years and only sold it because the rust in the rockers got so bad you could see through them.(I hope all these computers in this exp run that long) Not a big deal on a framed truck but this 2011 Exp is a uni-body and rust can become an issue structurally.
I plan to replace my mouldings and touch up the door's edge. I also rub a door weather strip conditioner on all my soft weather strips to keep the doors from freezing shut in the winter. This also cleans the weather strip.

One solution for rusted door bottoms

I used SEM 39803 Clear Chip Guard spray can on the bottoms of the doors. This product puts on a clear, heavy textured coating. So far it is working very well but if in a year it does wear off, plenty in the can left to refinish the door bottoms again. You will never notice it on there.

Is it confirmed that those PN's are the updated(soft rubber) versions?

Also, think those new rockers are possibly covered under warranty? I have the same issue and my bumper to bumper warranty will be gone soon(31k miles).

I've got the same problem all 4 doors. They have strips worn right down to the bare metal. Some worst than others.
iPhone-2016.02.15-15.54.04.074_zpsseshq8y4.jpg

iPhone-2016.02.15-15.53.59.172_zps7fako34p.jpg

iPhone-2016.02.15-15.55.01.055_zpsayxbdizx.jpg

So has Ford acknowledged this as an issue and issued a formal fix yet? I too have the same issue. My 2013 Explorer has been babied. Under 19,000 miles, only hand washes (by me), I always dry all jams and weather stripping. I am pretty disappointed by this to be honest.

https://flic.kr/p/ErHMyL

Add another to the list of paint chipping on bottom of door. I've had the vehicle for almost a month and just over 1500 miles and the driver's door is chipped all along(and I mean end to end) the bottom edge. Attached are 2 pictures, not sure how well they show it. I just noticed this yesterday so I still need to contact my dealer.

2uohreq.jpg

4t2890.jpg

I officially made my warranty claim to ford at exactly 60,347km (warranty expires at 60,000)....literally 347km over and Ford DENIED my claim!!!!

Body shop at the dealer is now going through the process with Ford to come to a compromise...In these cases sometimes they agree to cover X percentage of the work....NOT - I expect 100% coverage and I'll explain why:

Because from 58k - 60,347km (about 4weeks time) my vehicle was tied up in their repair shop addressing other warranty repair work (before warranty expires)
- a total of 8 business days my vehicle was in the shop for repairs and waiting for parts.
- failed airblend door motor and bent air blend door. Requiring the removal of the entire dash console.
- Damaged windshield cowel trim. (they remove this to get down at the holes that the coolant goes through the firewall into the vehicle and HVAC).
- Damage center console trim during dash/hvac repair, had to return to dealer to have that fixed.
- Damage center console trim again trying to replace the trim piece, had to order yet again a 2nd replacement part and return to dealer yet again to have that fixed.
- Discovered windshield cowel wasn't even install and clipped in properly. Had to return to dealer again to have fixed properly.
- Low engine coolant was discovered causing gurgle through heater core. Could not find leak. Put tracer die in coolant. drive around for week. return vehicle to shop again.
- Found leak. 2 pin-holes in coolant line that goes from front of vehicle engine block to back of vehicle to the the rear HVAC air box. 1 full day job required removing the rear differential and subframe and drive shaft to get that heater line up in behind and against the under body of the vehicle for that long run.
- Discovered they had scuffed and damaged my inside door trim (from removing the entire dash assembly on first repair work). leather/vynly repair work pending until the weather gets warmer. Discovered saide of leather driver seat has a split in it. More repair work pending.
- after coolant line replaced. that weekend had major shuddering and thumping coming from under the floor "driveshaft" area.
Had to return to dealer again. The driveshaft hanger bearing & bracket wasn't even tightened down causing the driveshaft to shutter (they fixed it but was any damage caused???)

Previously before all this I also had the following issues:
A.all my breaks replaced (part of the "are your rear brakes dragging issue"). Rear brakes warn to the rotors in only 30,000km. With other issues on the fronts as well. They replaced brakes all around.
B. The GPS module replaced due to the tracking issue.
C. From the very beginning when I pre-ordered my vehicle in Jul 2013 for a Nov delivery. My dealer "lied" to me the day I was to pick it up, saying my vehicle was damaged during delivery and that they would have to build me another one with a Jan ETA. Discovered next day that they simply F'd up and ordered the wrong color (black instead of silver). Caught them "red-handed" on this one with proof, and spanked them!

Long story short...I was "347km" over making my paint warranty and split leather seat claim because I was busy fighting other more important vehicle repair battles. When I finally got my vehicle out of the shop at the dealer for the last repair issue I literally drove around to the back of the building to the bodyshop and made the paint claim.

I'm wondering if Crystal has any Pull to look into this case and help me??

I don't know if Ford would take a lot of that into account because those issues would not affect the mileage part of the warranty but just the time period. I realize that it caused a lot of aggravation and as a goodwill gesture I think your request would not be beyond reason. Good luck.
As for Asking Crystal for help, see the following post;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3497117&postcount=127

Peter

I'm taking mine in to get looked at next week for a similar issue. The paint is bubbling on the lower VERTICAL interior edge on both rear doors (and a spot on the hatch now that I think about it). Dealer agreed to photograph it and send it in to Ford, so we'll see what happens. This isn't a location where water would settle (a vertical surface remember) so I'm hoping they don't try to weasel their way out of fixing it.

Back