Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

bottom end noise

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 00Xplorer, August 5, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. 00Xplorer

00Xplorer New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 XLS
    About a year ago I got this chattering noise coming from the bottomend towards the back of the engine oil pan/ bellhouse area. The noise just appeard one day after a oil change. I can hear the noise all the time cold or hot. Noise is loudest in park or neutral and noise does go slightly with rpms untill about 2000rpm then I can't hear it. Car is a 2000 explorer xls v6 ohv with 143k miles. And noise started around 130k miles. Also noise has stayed the same and it is not any heat shields or cats. Any help will b great.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 00Xplorer

00Xplorer New Member

'00 XLS
  4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    I don't know, but when I get back to our shop later this week, I have to try to find a similar racket on my SOHC. I was thinking it is cats or shields, but now I am thinking alternator. I did check the cats with an infrared, for what that's worth, and they seemed OK. The noise seems to reflect around a bit, makes it hard for me to find. I am going to pull the serpentine.

We Support Our Troops!