Bought a used ex with trans problem, how to sell? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a used ex with trans problem, how to sell?

if I had an engine issue with one of the V8's, I'd probably buy a reman engine and install it. they're reasonably inexpensive.

I was talking to my mechanic and the availability of rebuilt motors(V6). He said that cash for clunker deal really dried up the supplies. It seems like it is easier to get a rebuilt transmission than a rebuilt engine.

I rebuilt my transmission myself although it was a 5-speed manual out of a 98 XLT. The removal shouldn't be much different though. Mine was 4WD which added significantly to the labor to remove and reinstall.

With 2WD, the biggest annoyances would be those top two bolts (which with a super long extension is not that big of a deal) and dropping the exhaust for the first time, which may either be easy if the bolts don't break, or really annoying if they do. If you seriously plan on doing this anytime soon, start soaking these bolts with PB blaster a few weeks ahead of time and let them loosen up the exhaust bolts.

I used a regular floor jack with a wooden platform bolted on. If you can get a transmission jack it would make it a lot easier. I wouldn't want to do this job with an automatic transmission without it, it was hard enough to position a manual.

Just think how much the car payment would be for a new vehicle, and the extra insurance too!

I rebuilt my transmission myself although it was a 5-speed manual out of a 98 XLT. The removal shouldn't be much different though. Mine was 4WD which added significantly to the labor to remove and reinstall.

With 2WD, the biggest annoyances would be those top two bolts (which with a super long extension is not that big of a deal) and dropping the exhaust for the first time, which may either be easy if the bolts don't break, or really annoying if they do. If you seriously plan on doing this anytime soon, start soaking these bolts with PB blaster a few weeks ahead of time and let them loosen up the exhaust bolts.

I used a regular floor jack with a wooden platform bolted on. If you can get a transmission jack it would make it a lot easier. I wouldn't want to do this job with an automatic transmission without it, it was hard enough to position a manual.

Just think how much the car payment would be for a new vehicle, and the extra insurance too!

and don't forget property taxes.

i have a motorcycle jack that i think would handle a transmission nicely, but i don't mess with automatic transmission, so the most i would consider doing would be to install a reman myself and avoid the labor charges. frankly i think i would change and engine before a transmission, but it's like the old question, "how do you eat an elephant?"... one bite at a time.

A final thought; most auto transmissions don't require going inside where its scary to fix them. The issue is usually with a valve body, selonoid or servo. All of these are relatively easy to fix. The occasional band adjustment is easy too.

Now if you really need new frictions (clutches/bands) or hard parts (planetary/input/output shaft or drums) that the scary stuff. I hate even looking at all those parts. Occasionally these parts do need replacing but its relatively rare unless you've been pulling hard with them or running lots of power.

Back