Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Brain fart: SOHC ->4.6v8 swap

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by MeatyCrab, October 8, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MeatyCrab

MeatyCrab Active Member

City, State:
      Perth, Western Australia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      OK, so this is just one of those things that goes through the head sometimes...excuse me if this has already been discussed (i didn't do a search), but i monitor these boards pretty close, so I don't think it has...

Anyway, every one goes on and on about power mods etc for the SOHC...what I want to know is, just say it's a few years down the track and your SOHC has given up the ghost and it's time to either buy a new car or fix the engine...and there happens to be a whole lot of 3rd gen X's lying around in parts...or stangs...

I have a 98 XLT, so I was just thinking, would it be possible to fit the new gen 4.6L v8's in there? what would have to be done? Trans? Computer? i assume it will fit...or do i assume wrong? are the 3rd gen engine bays that much bigger? I know the 4.6 is a not small engine...

Just to clarify, this is after the better years of the original SOHC, so i guess it's not really a swap meow, is it? I love my SOHC, but when it's time I won't mind dropping in some real power...

C'mon meow...it's just food for thought...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MeatyCrab

MeatyCrab Active Member

City, State:
      Perth, Western Australia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      You know what?

I just did a search...

Thanks anyway!
      BK