Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Brake help needed with 02 Explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by southexp, August 3, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. southexp

southexp New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    02 Explorer XLS
    I have an 02 Explorer that recently started having some brake issues. Everything seemed fine until yesterday, when I came home from work, I would have to press the brake pedal a couple inches deeper than normal to stop.

I took the vehicle in to a local brake shop this morning and they quoted me at $1200. They said that it needed these parts replaced:

Master Cylinder
    Brake Fluid Pressure Sensor
    Front and Rear Rotors and Pads.

A second place I called told me that I may not need all the work done and may just need the master cylinder. He also told me that it is a rarity for the fluid pressure sensor to go out or need replacing. I am taking it to him Monday for him to look and quote but I wanted to get any advice or opinions on here first if possible.

All help is greatly appreciated!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    Pads/rotors are the bread and butter of most shops. While they may need done, they could also have 6 months to a year left on them. Without pictures it’s really hard to tell.

It could be critical to do all (less the sensor) or you may just need the master cylinder now.

4. Leftysrepsol

Leftysrepsol New Member

2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    Pull off the wheels and look at the pads and discs, you might not need them. Any weird noises when you try and brake? Do the brakes actually work at all?

5. Drewmcg

Drewmcg Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    2010 XLT 4WD
    2002 XLS 2WD
    Its not that hard to replace the master cylinder, though bleeding it can be a bit tricky. If you go that route, try to get a part that comes with the nylon bleeder connection/hoses, so that you don't need to chase them down separately (pain in the butt) like I did. Under $100.

The one possible exception is: if your front brakes are SO worn out that they spit out (or jammed) a brake pad on one side or the other. That should result in noise or at least a noticeable pull to the other side on hard braking.

6. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX