• Register Today It's free!

Brake Life

chazglenn3

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma , WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Our 2016 Platinum is just over 60K miles, so I figured it was about time for front brake pads. I ordered a set from Rock Auto and went out to install them today. I was very surprised to find the OEM pads at still at least 50% left to go! Is this because of the heavy duty brakes that are installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not necessarily the HD brakes. More likely you do more highway driving or just not that hard on the brakes.

I'm at just over 65k miles and am still on the original brakes. I was putting a lot of highway miles a few years back and used the brakes very little.

Our 2016 Platinum is just over 60K miles, so I figured it was about time for front brake pads. I ordered a set from Rock Auto and went out to install them today. I was very surprised to find the OEM pads at still at least 50% left to go! Is this because of the heavy duty brakes that are installed?

My experience has been that the front pads don't wear as fast as the rears.

Actually, fronts wear faster. It's about a 60/40 pressure ratio. 60 front 40 rear. The rears wear faster when you have sticky calipers, usually from not using your parking brake.

Actually, fronts wear faster. It's about a 60/40 pressure ratio. 60 front 40 rear. The rears wear faster when you have sticky calipers, usually from not using your parking brake.
You are right. Fronts do the majority of the braking, especially in FWD vehicles. That is also generally why the rears are thinner. When stopping, weight is transferred to the front.

Peter

The brakes on my 2016 Ex Sport are fantastic, won't be going to aftermarket that's for sure. Just service the calipers yearly to extend the life of the pads.

Not necessarily true. I've had more than a couple vehicles wear the rear out before the front(no signs of sticking calipers). Also, rear brakes are generally smaller than the front, so while they do less work than the front, they are also sized to do less work.

I also think it depends on how you use your brakes (gentle stops or hard stops).

Back