Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Brake Light and Rear Abs Light!!!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by J2772, October 18, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. J2772

J2772 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992, Explorer XLT
    So here about a month ago, i got in a small accident, rear ended someone only screwed up my bumper. Right afterwards my brake light and rear abs light have came on and stay on, brakes work great. Master cylinder is full, float moves, replaced the rear abs sensor (only has one in the rear hogshead), tried disconcerting the battery but it does a self check every time you start the vehicle, already has all new brake lines, new shoes, new pads, new rotors. I'm running out of ideas. Any ideas? Any help inspection comin up so I'd like to fix it.

Also two other minor problems instead of starting multiple threads, my speedometer is fine at low speeds but after about 50 is runs about 10-20 mph over or under and its all over the place especially in the cold.

and then my head will only blow hot air for about 1-2 mins and then its cold, i turn off the air wait a couple minutes then the same thing again.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Likely the ABS valve that is on the inside driver frame rail right under your feet area. There is a test you can do with a paperclip and counting the number of times the dash light flashes to find the ABS code it is putting out but I don't recall the specifics. You can try and search on here on how to do the ABS light test.

When my ABS valve went out both lights were on like you describe.

4. J2772

J2772 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    1992, Explorer XLT
    in trying to find this abs valve on like rockauto or lmc truck any other idea what it might be called? do i replace this valve or what? thank you again

5. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Rock auto lists it as ABS hydraulic unit A-1 CARDONE 122029 and yes you just replace it. 1 electrical connection and 2 brake lines

try lightly tapping on yours with a hammer and see if the light goes out. I did that a few times and it worked for a while before the light came on again before I decided to just replace it.

6. J2772

J2772 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    1992, Explorer XLT
    Thank you im going to look around on how to do the test so that i dont blow $105 and not solve the problem.

7. J2772

J2772 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    1992, Explorer XLT
    is it possible to have this problem if there is air in the abs unit? if so how would i bleed it? i cant manage to find anything on it, maybe im just missing it

We Support Our Troops!