Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

brake light

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by redShift, September 29, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. redShift

redShift Active Member

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      OK, I've been hearing some interesting things being said around here and I want to be clear on things.

The red "BRAKE ((!))" light below my tach ('96) has been on almost constantly for the past month or so. When I got new tires, they mentioned the brakes were in bad shape, but we didn't replace them then. I'm going to have the brakes done this week.

Anyway, as soon as the tire place mentioned the brakes were failing, I noticed that red brake light coming on more frequently as I have been driving. I know it comes on whenever I have the e-brake depressed even the slightest bit, but I was wondering what other things can cause it to come on? I heard something about fluid...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Take a look in owner's manual, they should explain it. On any vehicle I have ever owned, there are two reasons for the red brake light to be on: 1) e brake is on 2) fluid level in the master cylinder is too low.

If your pads are really worn, this explains why fluid is low; the fluid level drops as the pads wear and the caliper pistons travel further to push the pads against the rotors.

4. Majisto

Majisto Active Member

City, State:
      Austin, Texas
      2000 XLT
      Heh in my X, when you step on the gas too hard and the truck lurches back, the brake light comes on for a sec. Probably because my brakes are going out, and the fluid is sloshing around in the reservoir. I hope so at least... :confused:

5. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      the light will be one for one or all or any combination of 3 reasons....1-fluid in mc is too low 2-e brake is one 3 there is some problem with some sensor somewhere(electrical)