• Register Today It's free!

brake light

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
OK, I've been hearing some interesting things being said around here and I want to be clear on things.

The red "BRAKE ((!))" light below my tach ('96) has been on almost constantly for the past month or so. When I got new tires, they mentioned the brakes were in bad shape, but we didn't replace them then. I'm going to have the brakes done this week.

Anyway, as soon as the tire place mentioned the brakes were failing, I noticed that red brake light coming on more frequently as I have been driving. I know it comes on whenever I have the e-brake depressed even the slightest bit, but I was wondering what other things can cause it to come on? I heard something about fluid...

Take a look in owner's manual, they should explain it. On any vehicle I have ever owned, there are two reasons for the red brake light to be on: 1) e brake is on 2) fluid level in the master cylinder is too low.

If your pads are really worn, this explains why fluid is low; the fluid level drops as the pads wear and the caliper pistons travel further to push the pads against the rotors.

Heh in my X, when you step on the gas too hard and the truck lurches back, the brake light comes on for a sec. Probably because my brakes are going out, and the fluid is sloshing around in the reservoir. I hope so at least... :confused:

the light will be one for one or all or any combination of 3 reasons....1-fluid in mc is too low 2-e brake is one 3 there is some problem with some sensor somewhere(electrical)

Back