1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Brake Lights

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by mrfoote, October 1, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mrfoote

mrfoote New Member

City, State:
      Hempstead, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 Explorer
      own a 1994 Ford Explorer and just recantly the Brake Lights went out. This is confusing because all of the other nightime running lights work. The rear nightime running brake lights work; the reverse lights work; all of the turn signals and the four-way flashers work; the headlights and the passing flashers work; the rear licence plate illuminator lights work; the interior lights work; and the ABS system lights work. Everythig runs perfectly as usual but I press the brake and the brake lights don't come on! My Wife and daughter drive the truck so I am afraid that I am going to get rear-ended one of these days.

The first thing that I did was check the rear brake light bulbs (two of them, one on each side) which to my surprise were fine. They did not appear to be blown. The next thing that I did was to check all of the fuses which were fine (not blown).

Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do next?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. AKJello

AKJello New Member

City, State:
      Crestview, FL
      1995 XLT
      Check the switch on the brake pedal...it is near the top of the brake pedal arm. That switch may be bad. I don't have the diagram in front of me but it should be fairly easy to ohm out. Does your cruise control kick off when you hit the brake pedal? That is usually a good way to check if your switch is working or not however, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe there are two sides to the switch and one can go bad without the other being bad.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      I would second the vote for the brake light switch(also known as BOO - brake on/off). The cruise control test would be a good one to try. I'm assuming that the 3rd brake light is also out?

5. mrfoote

mrfoote New Member

City, State:
      Hempstead, NY
      94 Explorer
      Thanks

I went out at lunch (I am at work) and I played with teh switch a little, and it is still woprking, I went to the local Pep Boys adn I went to get one just in case. Is it easy to install. I also bought the Hayes Ford Explorer book. ONce I ge thome I will take a look. Thanks guys././...
      Later