• Register Today It's free!

Brake Problem

bx95explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hi: Yesterday night I had to brake hard in order to stop (because I was going a bit too fast). It felt like the brakes didn't have its usual stopping power. I also noticed that the ABS did not kick in. Thankfully, I was able to stop in time after standing on the pedal. From that point on, the pedal was very soft at the begining, then sank about half way down, then at about 3/4 of the way it finally felt like the brakes were engaging. The Brake light came on a little later. I pulled over and found the brake fluid resoviour was almost empty. I was able to get to a gas station to buy a bottle of brake fluid to fill it back up. It helped a little but the pedal still felt soft and after a few stops, the brake light came back on. Luckily I got myself home and have not had a chance to look under the hood again. I suspect the resoviour is empty again. This is my '95 Exp XLT 4X4, 103K miles, all four brake pads and rotors changed about 3K ago. Any thoughts on what happened?

You blew a brake line somewhere,fill it up and have someone pump the brakes while you look underneath.:D

SAFN1949, thanks for the reply. I'll check it out....

Good guess was you blew a rear brake line.Look at the line over the rear axle. When a rear goes you still have the fronts at about 1/4 pedal from the floor. Good luck

Back