Need Brake Replacement Torque Specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Brake Replacement Torque Specs

Artie1036

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited AWD
Can anyone tell me or point me to where I can find the torque specs for the brake calipers on my 2011 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have searched the forum and oddly enough there is no torque specs for brake replacement , on the 2011 and up , i figured i would post the question before going to buy a manual . brackets and calipers ??

thank you jay

Have searched the forum and oddly enough there is no torque specs for brake replacement , on the 2011 and up , i figured i would post the question before going to buy a manual . brackets and calipers ??

thank you jay

35 ft lbs on calipers.

111 ft lbs on brackets.

thank you jay
Welcome to the Forum jay.:wave:
There actually was a thread entitled "2011 Brakes" but it didn't have any replies to the original post so I renamed it and merged yours with it. Good luck.

Peter

Torque Spec Request: Brake Caliper Bracket

I am replacing the front brakes on my 2011 with 73k. I had to remove the bracket that holds the brake caliper in order to remove the rotor. Does anyone have a service manual that has the torque spec for the two large bolts that hold the brake caliper bracket in place? I am also curious for the torque spec on the single torx screw that holds the rotor on the hub if it's in the same listing. I appreciate any help. Thanks

*Looks like my thread was merged with this one so I wanted to add to a little info. I replaced my brake pads with a Motorcraft set that included an install sheet. The sheet shows 72nm for the caliper bolts. The converts to about 53 ft lbs using an online converter. Install sheet attached
8F5938CC-3759-4DFD-9B05-6FB0455B91E7_zpscnuc58cv.jpg
. I hope it's legible when zoomed.

Front Disk Brake:

Bleeder screw: 11 Nm (97 lb-in)
Brake caliper anchor plate bolts: 150 Nm (111 lb-ft)
Brake caliper flow bolt: 47 Nm (35 lb-ft)
Brake caliper guide pin bolts: 72 Nm (53 lb-ft)
Brake disc screw: 20 Nm (177 lb-in)
Brake disc shield bolts: 15 Nm (133 lb-in)
Brake flexible hose bracket bolt: 30 Nm (22 lb-ft)
Brake tube fittings: 17 Nm (150 lb-in)

Rear Disc Brake:

Bleeder screw: 10 Nm (89 lb-in)
Brake caliper anchor plate bolts: 103 Nm (76 lb-ft)
Brake caliper bolts: 33 Nm (24 lb-ft)
Brake disc screw: 20 Nm (177 lb-in)
Brake disc shield bolts: 15 Nm (133 lb-in)
Brake flexible hose: 25 Nm (18 lb-ft)
Brake tub fitting: 17 Nm (150 lb-in)

Should be all the torque specs for anyone doing brake work out there! Let me know if anything is missing, good luck.

Wonder if someone with a manual would be willing to share torque specs for the front and rear brake pins and caliper mounting bolts on the 2016 Explorer Sport. I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Wonder if someone with a manual would be willing to share torque specs for the front and rear brake pins and caliper mounting bolts on the 2016 Explorer Sport. I would appreciate the info. Thanks.
Your thread was merged with this one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Good morning all thanks for having me to the forum,
I'm hoping I can start with a torque spec question , I researched older threads and also researched elsewhere to find the torque specs for rear caliper support bracket bolts. I'm having trouble getting a definite, consistent answer. I've read anything form 24 ft lbs to 100+ ft lbs. Thanks again for having me I look forward to the forum!! Twes4

Did mine at 24 lb-ft as per my service manual for 13 Sport.

qTHTQyK.png

Good morning all thanks for having me to the forum,
I'm hoping I can start with a torque spec question , I researched older threads and also researched elsewhere to find the torque specs for rear caliper support bracket bolts. I'm having trouble getting a definite, consistent answer. I've read anything form 24 ft lbs to 100+ ft lbs. Thanks again for having me I look forward to the forum!! Twes4
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Anyone with torque specs for a 2016 care to chime in? I don't want to assume an earlier vintage explorer brake specs would be the same.

Anyone with torque specs for a 2016 care to chime in? I don't want to assume an earlier vintage explorer brake specs would be the same.
Perhaps sheltonfilms or jmr061 will have those figures.

Peter

I'm also looking for 2015 Ex Sport brake torque specs, specifically the slide pin bolts and the caliper mounting bolts, both front and rear. The instructions included with Motorcraft front pads says the front slide pin torque is 76 Nm. This is a little more than the 72 Nm shown in a 2012 XLT manual I have.

Can anyone tell me or point me to where I can find the torque specs for the brake calipers on my 2011 Explorer?
Thanks to Parash for posting all the torque specs.
Wrench sizes are 17, 18, 19 MM
Useful videos for first timers to get a feel for the job.

I always put a dab of Loctite on the caliper bracket retaining bolts, on our Armada I didn't, and one eventually backed out, and the bracket flipped down and was digging into the wheel. Luckily she was going slow when it happened....I learned my lesson. I just did new rotors on the Explorer and used some. My torque wrench for those = using a breaker bar and pulling up as hard as I could, lol.

Back