Brake Rotor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Rotor

skater488

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer eddie bauer
This is my first time doing Brake work, and i took off the rotors and on the back of the driver side of it had a gear looking thing attached to the back of the rotor but the passenger side did, now i bought new rotors but now both of the new ones do, are they suppose to have those? what are they for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Abs tone rings

are they suppose to be on both driver and passenger side? and how can i tell if my truck has ABS?

They should be on both sides Yes.
some 93's and all 94 had 4 wheel ABS. you should have a sensor at each front wheel and only one at the rear def if you have 4 wheel ABS. if you only have the rear ABS as the 91,92 and some 93's did ( no front wheel sensors) then you can run with or with out the tone rings . If you have 4 wheel abs and you run with out the tone rings the abs light will come on and stay on and the ABS system will disable it's self.

I have a 93 with 4 wheels ABS but I am running 92 rotors with out tone rings and have disconnected the ABS system. Now if I can find tone rings then I will change that but I love the power stop cross drilled rotors. I have and my EX stops unbelievable good with them. Way better then it ever did with stock rotors and the ABS. I have owned this truck all but 4 years of its life so I am very familiar with its stopping abilities before but as I said now it’s just awesome!

just be warned...do not dent the tone ring....like I did...or your abs will not function correctly

took me a while to figure that one out

also do not break one like I did. there hard to find with out buying new rotors again

i still dont understand how they come off

maybe when people put on new rotors here, we should all save them...

May be a good Idea. they can come off easy some times as there not that tight of a fit to start with what I am surprised at is that no one I can find sells them and I do not have the tools to remove auto hubs so the junk yards don't do me any good unless I just happen to find on laying on the ground (rotor that is) that I can get one from.

Back