• Register Today It's free!

Brakes: OEM vs. Motorcraft

Joe_R

Reaction score
City, State
delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2K2 XLT
My wife has 56k miles on the clock and it's getting time for new front brakes. I thought that was pretty good life for a set of oem brakes.

Anyhow, when I called around to 4 dealers for prices. They have both OEM and Motorcraft brakes. The Motorcraft parts are significantly less expensive. For example, the OEM pads are $112.91 and the Motorcraft pads are $50.99. I called 3 local dealers. Two said they were not sure if there was a difference. One said there was no difference. They all said if you come in for a brake job, you get the Motorcraft brand.

Can anyone say for sure there is or is not a difference? Pad thickness, material, machining????? Anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are you going to the dealer for brake parts again? Do you enjoy getting &^&% raped? What does ford use on her truck if its not Motocraft? Because to me motocraft 90% of the time is OEM. Meaning there are many brands of parts on your truck, from Bosch to Elchin to Motocraft (ford). But if the dealer carries an OEM pad and a Motocraft pad for your application, I am curious to know what the OEM pad is?

Bendix fleet grade (napa), Raebestos carbon mettalic, are the two I reccomend. 60K miles is about right for brake pads, depending on how you drive. I wouldn;t pay more then $35-40 for front pads, and using carbon metallic will get you excellent performance, long life, and no dust.

Dealer = stealer.

I generally don't go oem but I figured this: I got almost 60K out of them which in my book is pretty good. Second, the dust is fine. I wash it every week and have never had any issues with brake dust.
So you are saying there is no difference between the two?

I am saying something is wrong here.

Motorcraft is FORD.
OEM = Motocraft

So those prices are not communicated to you properly. I suspect they are both Motocraft pads, OEM = semi metallic, the higher price is likely carbon metallic or ceramic or some junk.

regardless you can get better pads for cheaper at a parts store, unless you love your dealers part dept, etc.

You will likely get more miles, less dust, and better performance from the Bendix or raebestos pads listed above.

Also I wouldnt be surprised to find that the OEM or Motocraft pads are made by somebody else, like ummmm Bendix.

OEM are the ceramic, and what was put on when it was new. Hence less dust and last longer.

WHAT???
Ford does not use Ceramin pads OEM, now way man....ceramin pads tear up rotors....
where did you hear this?

Well, my theory on that is: ceramic is more expensive than organic so it's doubtful they are ceramic. But you never know. I'm of the conclusion there is no difference between oem and motorocraft. Yes, I could possibly get better/less expensive elsewhere, but that's not the plan right now.

"I could possibly get better/less expensive elsewhere, but that's not the plan right now."

That makes perfect sense to me! spend more for less :rolleyes:

They do not use ceramic OEM, semi metallic is what Motocraft uses stock, they are good pads, but not the best, especially for the $$$

There are two different pads to choose from. The ford pads or better known as "brownbox" and then there are motorcraft pads known as white box. They have two different compounds, idk the exact spec but have used both. The motorcraft
were not as good. They created alot of dust and didn't stop aswell but are half the price. I work for Ford so the price really doesn't matter to me. I have only used ford pads so I can't compare to after market. I don't know if this rambling helps you or not.

the ford pads are better, BUT both are alot quieter than most aftermarket, although motorcraft are alittle dustier it nowheres near as bad as aftermarket, ESP on the navs and expeditions, but they both stop equally well to me, just make sure you macjine or replace the rotors as nessecary.

Back